Why do some people think its bad to say "Oh my god?"

I've noticed that some people get bothered by the phrase "Oh my god", I dont get it. When I was in 8th grade we were all working on something and someone said OMG loud enough for the teacher to hear..and he freaked out! He started yelling at the kid saying "WHAT DID YOU SAY?!!!!!!!" "DO YOU TALK LIKE THAT AT HOME?!" and then he sent the kid to sit outside for a while. And it scared everyone in class and made them say WTF? LOL Can someone please explain?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:47 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• because it a sin to take the Lords name in vain
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 7:49 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I never heard of anyone getting offended by Oh My God. I know my Mom used to slap her siblings in the head for God D***.
    Mommy2mj

Answer by Mommy2mj at 7:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I would think Oh My God is more of a praise. It is God D*** that's taking the lord's name in vain.
    Mommy2mj

Answer by Mommy2mj at 7:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I have to agree with both of the above posters. However in this day and age you never know which God a person is talking about...
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 7:56 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• OMG is not bad, but i think people get a little out of control with the whole "don't use the lords name in vain" thing. From what i was told, you should not call upon god unless it is completely heartfelt & for good reason. Apparently that is the only way you are not using his name in vain. By saying "OMG" to everything & anything, it's almost taking the real meaning of god away, and in a way that puts oneself in front of god, which is seen as vain.

I say it all the time & don't think it's a big deal. To me, god is just a word to describe a higher power of some sort.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:58 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• people with a religious background are more apt to get offended by this since it is taking the lord's name in vain. that is why some get upset by it.
    themrsss

Answer by themrsss at 8:07 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• kind of like the other posters have said some people think that saying OMG is somehow taking the lord's name in vain so they might not like hearing other people say it. when I say it I say Oh My Goddess more then I say Oh My God. I think saying God D*** or Goddess D*** is a lot more offensive. to me saying that is the only thing that I think that is really taking the lord's (or lady's) name in vain

flower_angel

Answer by flower_angel at 1:20 PM on Jun. 26, 2010