How can I make my mom understand I will never believe in God and I won't raise my son to believe in God?

I am enrolling him in a Christian preschool just bc it's the best preschool. I love it. I told her the only bad part is that they talk about religion a lot. And she said that's good. He needs to learn about God. I said I guess I will just have to teach him about all the other religions myself. And she got so mad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:47 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would just say it like you did here - I DO NOT and WILL NOT believe in God... I have no reason to and don't think it's needed for a good life... - She doesn't have to like it or accept it, but I would make it clear that the discussion is OVER - this is how things are and she has to learn to deal...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Do not give her any room for argument. Tell her the case is closed and is NOT up for discussion,period. Good for you for standing up to her and saying ENOUGH. I am just starting this with my in laws too concering our religion. It is basically NONE of anyones business no matter if they are family or not. Again......WOOT I am happy you stood strong.

hugs

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:01 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Teaching him about all the other religions is still teaching him about god regardless whether you believe or not. Tell her that you want your son to learn about all the religions so that he can find a place where he feels comfortable & not forced into something. He may not believe in god at all, but i think it's a great idea to teach him all there is out there religion wise. It's very beautiful & cultural.

I would just tell her too bad lady. My child, my choices in raising him. She will get used to it.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:54 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• It took a lot for my parents to accept it- and it came down to this question "Do you love them? If you do, then you will let me make the decisions I feel are best, and you will not interfere".
    They leave it alone now, and are fairly respectful... They also understand that unless they comply, they will not get to spend time with their grand children.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• If you want her to understand tell her and give it some time for her to accept it. Things usually become more acceptable over time.
    Mommy2mj

Answer by Mommy2mj at 7:59 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I don't think anybody is intelligent enough to come to an absolute opinion on the God question. Humanity has struggled with this issue since the beggining of time. If the idea of God makes no sense to you than I respect that totally. I have many athiest friends. Teaching your children about different religions is a good idea and I did it for my children but ultimately every one has to make up their own mind on the subject. As for me, I say, take a good look at the definition of God sometime and you will see that There Can Be Nothing Else. It's an interesting mind bender. I've decided to stay a little open minded either way. Just in case. Thanks.
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 8:07 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• nothing wrong with exposing him to beliefs of others. just make sure the preschool understands your boundaries. let them know you respect their work. it's good for him to learn a little now - i was raised in an atheist household and went searching for answers about god on my own - it actually consumed me lol. it just helps for him to be able to understand where others are coming from. of course when you talk to him you should be honest about your thoughts about god, but be careful to leave it open in case he chooses to believe that... as well as you should be open if he chooses paganism, buddhism or atheism, etc. just my opinion... i believe in religious tolerance. respect your mom's beliefs for HER if you can too. you don't need to change yours in any way and definitely teach your son your beliefs. i hope i'm explaining myself well..
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 8:09 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Don't discuss it with her because she isn't going to change her mind. We are raising our kids Catholic and my in-laws are not fans so we just don't discuss it with them. We aren't mean about it, but we just don't talk about anything to do with religion with them.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:30 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Give her time. It took my mom a long time to finally get that church is not my thing, in fact it took years. She insisted on praying for me and my family every day (so she told me) and now, finally I think she gets it.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I would just make sure she's aware that you don't want her going behind your back on the matter, or saying anything in front of the child about it (because it undermines your authority/position). I'm sure you don't want to hear it from her either, so perhaps if you just told her that its something you're not willing to compromise on, that there's no point in discussing it further, and that you expect her to respect your position as his mother by not undermining or compromising your authority with him she'd get the point and at least back off. You don't want him confused or conflicted! You can tell her if God cares so much about whether or not he believes He'll find a way to make sure he does, whether you raise him to or not (although I'm not talking about His way being someone teaching or pushing your child behind your back, I'm talking when he's old enough to make his own decisions). Maybe that would make her back off...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:47 PM on Jun. 25, 2010