anyone had a positive trisomy 18 screening?............

i am just wondering. i got one wih my last blood work, and im just curious if anyone else got a positive result and went on to have a healthy baby, as my doctor told me they arent falesafe, and are usually more wrong than right. and if that is the case, why do they give us these tests anyhow? im 18 1/2 weeks along, and the doctor said the dates being off can cause a false result, but he had me do an ulrasound, and it said im 19 1/2 to 20/12 weeks, which just isnt possible, because my fiance was out of state, the farthest i can possibly be is 18 1/2 weeks, and he wont even do the test over or anything, he says the ultrasound is conclusive for how far along i am, and now wants me to see speacialists without even a second test or opinion? what do you think, ladies? and what has your experience been with trisomy 18 and doctors not listening?

jeanniegirl82

Asked by jeanniegirl82 at 7:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I signed a waiver to NOT have those tests done b/c their is a very high rate of incorrect results and I think the possibility of hearing such horrible results and worrying for the rest of my pregnancy would be unbearable.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:00 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• There are incorrect results; my doctor advised me not to have the test done because I was already high risk (37 & placenta previa). He said that I had enough to worry about. If your doctor is asking you to see a specialist, I think you should go, at least for your piece of mind.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:22 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• i refused to get one bc they are really so unreliable. it just makes you worry about nothing imo. unless you are very high risk i would not go to see the specialist and i would especially not get an amnio. don't worry.... most likely the baby is fine
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• one of my friends got a positive for trisomy 18 and she went in for a sono and found the positive result was becuse her baby was no longer alive and had died about a week or so before the test..... so go get a sono and maybe another dr that will listen to you.. i hope it all works out for you! gl
    staceybear23

Answer by staceybear23 at 9:02 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I was in the same boat in 2004. My dr actually told me and my husband that our child was positive 50/50.. ? He told me that I should abort her. NOT! I believe that God is in COMPLETE control over life and death.. I opted not to have an abortion. Dr said she would be steel born and would be doa if I decided to have her. At my 5th month ultra sound it was detected that my daughter had Hypo Plastic Left Heart Syndrome, and was told she would have heart problems her whole life.

At 7 1/2 mos I went to the hospital for a routine check up and ended up staying at the hospital only to find out I was going in for ER C-section... I had Amayah, and she was born at 2lbs. 6 oz.. with Trisomy 18/Hypo Plastic Left Heart.... The pediatricians were completely amazed... Why? Because they said she should have been doa...

My baby lived for 6 days and rested on the 7th... God then blessed me a year and a half later with another girl...
    believejohn316

Answer by believejohn316 at 9:14 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Don't always be gullible with doctors, because they truly DON'T know everything, but as a mother trust your GOD and your gut! Get the second opinion, and don't let anyone make the decisions that YOU may beat yourself up about later.... Another thing I was told by that dr was that I would have less than a 10% chance of having a normal baby after that... Well he sure was wrong! Dr's are always trying to "BE GOD" but they aren't!
    believejohn316

Answer by believejohn316 at 9:18 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Hasn't happened to me, but with my ex-husbands first son, his mom got a positive Trisomy 18 result...amnio came back absolutely negative. Baby was born perfectly healthy.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:17 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I just got my results today and they were pos. for Trisomy 18.. having my Amnio tuesday
    LizMomTo4Girls

Answer by LizMomTo4Girls at 3:33 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• As an update to my previous answer, my baby had Trisomy 9. So they might not always be accurate.. but in this case it sort of was. I'd take it again if I get pregnant again.
    LizMomTo4Girls

Answer by LizMomTo4Girls at 2:42 PM on Aug. 13, 2010