Has anyone completely changed your eating habits and stuck to it?

I've never been on a "diet" because I don't believe they work. Eating well has to become part of your lifestyle. I just don't know how to do it. My husband HATES vegatables so its almost impossible to make a decent tasting meal that isn't high in fat. He doesn't mind carrots, corn, or fresh green beans. But thats it! It sucks! Any advice?

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 8:03 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I have completely changed my eating habits. I make sure I eat specific types of foods that take into consideration many of the basic food groups. Women need calcium so ice cream, cheeses, yogurts, whole grain breads and cereals for fiber, some kinds of meat even ground turkey which is a good change off from chicken, at least eight glasses of water to keep hydrated, juices for vitamin c, and starches like rice, potato, etc. for carbs and at least a couple of leafy green vegetables like spinach, broccoli, cabbage which are considered a necessary vegetable to eat frequently. As far as fat is concerned, we all need some fat content to food and you can control some of that by the fat content you buy because meat comes with certain fat percentages to it.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 8:13 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Maybe you try the kid cookbooks for picky eaters, like The Sneaky Chef: Simple Strategies for Hiding Healthy Foods in Kids' Favorite Meals by Missy Chase Lapine, The Sneaky Chef to the Rescue: 101 All-New Recipes and ""Sneaky"" Tricks for Creating Healthy Meals Kids Will Love by Missy Chase Lapine, and/or Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food by Jessica Seinfeld? Maybe you could check them out of your local library or look at them at your local bookstore and see if any of the recipes are doable for your family? Starting this way may help you to figure out how to make over your own favorite recipes into a healthier version that your husband will eat.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:15 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Excellent idea mom2ASPC... thanks.
    Mel_in_PHX

Comment by Mel_in_PHX (original poster) at 8:22 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I stopped eating meat at 17. Stopped eating simple grains about ten years ago.

Tell you husband that you want him to be healthy and grow old with you.

I have a ton of tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly recipes; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:19 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Check this out There is a page regarding this subject matter.

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:42 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I went from a typical standard diet to just eating fruits and vegeables. My entire day I eat lots of fruits like 20 bananas, 4 melons, etc..and then my last meal is some fruit and a vegetable dish - maybe cooked like a vegetable curry (my boyfriend makes from scratch and it is awesome) plus a large green salad. It is so normal for me that I forget what other people eat until I go to the store! I buy a box of 18kg of bananas a week too. I can NOT go a day now without eating fruit...other food makes me feel sluggish and tired.

I think for most people making small changes every so often is the way to go. This will help make them permanent. You could start by eating fruit only for breakfast in the form of a smoothie or eating fruit before every meal. Then try to add in a salad with leafy greens. Me and my 2 year old sit and just eat a plain head of lettuce everyday now! Generally though small changes are best.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:23 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• So I have never been a good dieter either. On and off. I can always stand to lose some wieght. I recently picked up running back in April. And since then, my body craves good food. I actually seem to have an aversion to fatty foods or processed foods. I'm not doing anything different in my life other than the running and I'm finding that this change in appetite is a major side effect. I have read in some books, that this is quite common to new runners as well as a decreased appetite. So.... maybe if you pick up some excercise, this might happen for you? I'm lucky that my husband LOVES veggies but I think that idea about sneaking good stuff into food is a great idea. Also, try smoothies, I make them with yogurt, o.j., and bananas and then if I have strawberries I add those too. I don't know. I hope that helps.
    gjpatrikas

Answer by gjpatrikas at 10:09 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I had to change my eating habits because i'm a type 2 diabetic. I also now only buy organic food for our family because of the chemicals and crud in processed foods, dairy, produce and meats.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:12 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I lose my will-power about the third day in. I have faith that I will buckle down and take it seriously soon!
    adoredby3

Answer by adoredby3 at 12:55 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Make changes 1 at a time. Don't try to change everything at once. You've got to allow yourself time to get used to the new flavors. I grew up eating junk and overweight. Now my diet is mostly vegetarian (I still eat meat, but its like a few times a month) whole grains, legumes, veggies that I used to hate, now I love. Ask your dh if he'd be willing to try one new thing a month with an open mind. Find ways to cook veggies that are delicious and healthy. Don't be afraid of seasoning.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 5:01 PM on Jun. 26, 2010