Moved away from family...

We just moved from VA to Maine, away from my whole family. I had mixed feelings for many years and still do to some extent. I miss them so much, but we are so close, and talk every day, and that makes it easier (though sometimes more emotional). I have a 2 yr old daughter though, that's very close to them. I'm trying to be creative in ways she can see them and talk to them as often as possible. She seems to be adjusting well, but you really can't tell when she's 2. We are staying with my husbands mother and have moved here for financial reasons. We are hoping to only be here a month or two. We are trying to start fresh, but I have a sinking feeling in my stomach sometimes about my daughter and I not being able to see my family, grandparents especially! Advice?

LovinMyMikayla

Asked by LovinMyMikayla at 8:08 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do you ever Skype? I live in NY and my parents are in FL, my brother is in Chicago, and my sister is in New Mexico. So I'm away from all my family as well. I call my parents everyday and we Skype every week. My son gets a huge smile on his face as soon as he hears and sees my parents. We only get to see each other twice a year so this is the next best thing, I think!

KJohnson4762

Answer by KJohnson4762 at 8:12 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• a web cam. and regular phone calls so she can talk to them too. we are going through the same thing and it is really tough. she talks about them everyday and it makes me miss them even more. good luck momma!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:27 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• We are moving next week away from my Mom here in FL, going to OH. I ordered my mom a web-cam off of Amazon that had a built-in microphone. It cost me just under $22 including shipping. I got it in less than a week, it was plug & play, & the picture & sound are awesome. PM me if you would like a link to the one I purchased. That was our fear also. We did not want our 20 month old to forget Gramma or her cousins here. So now that everyone is set up with Skype (free) & web-cams, we are good to go, except for the slobbery kisses.

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 12:45 AM on Jun. 26, 2010