What is a good age for a child to have their own computer? My dd is saying that some of her classmates have their own notebooks/lap tops. They are 9?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 8:21 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• I dont know the exact age. I got my own computer at around 14yo... But again our house will be ran kinda strict that usual.. I dont want my kids to have tvs in their room! Id rather have 2 "livingrooms" & same with the computers, the family will share computers and it will be a general rule in our house computers stay out of bedrooms..
    Im not dumb. There is cameras built into computers now day & loading pics are too easy.. I know what teens can get into on the computer!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:17 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• We have a "kids" computer for our 4 older ones, they share, and it's kept in our office so we can keep an eye on them and what they're doing. (Along with "Netnanny" to keep them off questionable sites.)

I won't let my kids have their own netbook/laptop until they are in high school, I don't think they need it before then.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:24 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• LOL! My daughter bought her own when she went to college. I think that's a good age. A nine year old, I think that's a bit much. 9 year olds aren't real keen on keeping stuff nice, I would wait until they are ready to take good care of it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• We know a 9 year old who has one. She has had it for quite awhile. She was homeschooled all her life until recently and she has used it for years.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 8:24 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My children won't be getting one any time soon. The girl we know is quite mature for her age and an only child.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 8:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I say when they have to start doing research papers for school that are rather involved. But, until then, they are more than welcome to use the family computer which is located in our kitchen so we're central to everything! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:35 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My dd has had her own computer since she was 8. We replaced our computer, which was about 8 years old and decided to give it to her. It wasn't worth selling. She is responsible with it.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 8:36 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Hubby and I would like to buy our boys their own computers. We are debating between one for them to share, or one for each of them, so we don't have to listen to the fighting. They are 4 and 6, and both are home-schooled. A lot of our learning is done online, so it would be beneficial for them to have access to their own computers. Likely they will each be getting netbooks, but we are thinking about the tablets (like an I-Pad, but a cheaper version) since those are the wave of the future.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 8:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Yeah right! 9?!....
    They can use the family computer until they get into college :)
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 8:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Hmm. I honestly think 9 is too young. How often is the average 9 year old on a computer anyway? It seems like such an expensive thing to give a young child.

I am not that big of a fan of giving even a teenager their own computer. I just feel as a parent it is best to keep those things public to the family to promote integrity of the kids. There are lots of things on the internet I would not want my kids finding, whether on accident or on purpose.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 8:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2010