does anyone have a child with verbal apraxia?

sweetestkitten

Asked by sweetestkitten at 8:38 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Kids' Health

• What is that I've never heard of this?
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 8:41 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• it is a type of speech delay in children. (well adults too i suppose) but basically it make it hard to pronounce word properly.....here is a link....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqMZ2musuoQ&feature=related

my son was just diagnosed today with it....he has been in speech therapy for 2 weeks now. he just turned 3 years old.
    sweetestkitten

Comment by sweetestkitten (original poster) at 8:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My granddaughter is 2 1/2. We are taking her to the Dr. this week. She didn't even start talking until 2. Now her words are very hard to understand. I will look into that link. Maybe that's what she has.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Not my children, but my FIL developed it after a series of strokes that left him with significant speech difficulties. He would try to say one thing, but said something completely different. He had a ton of speech therapy sessions, and learned how to communicate more effectively using simple pictures "strung together" to form a sentence that expressed what he wanted to say.

I remember how frustrated he would get in the beginning, because his mind was still incredibly sharp, he just couldn't get the words out, nor could he move his arms and legs the way he wanted.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:51 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My son has trouble talking he has been in speech therapy for the last year, he's four, and has been getting better expecially now that his little sister is talking but I will look in to that too thanks and good luck !!
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 8:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Also, both of my children have autism, and neither one spoke until they were FOUR years old! They're now 8 and 6, and I can't get them to stop talking!! LOL

Tons of speech therapy, the picture exchange system (PECS), reading to them constantly, and basic sign language were the methods we used to get them to start talking. We learned how to put preferred items out of their reach so they had to use their words to request the item.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My middle did. He was in speech therapy with Birth to 3 program from 18months to age 3, and then in special ed thru the school district from age 3-5. When he started kindergarten at age 6 his teacher had no idea he had ever had delays or speech problems as he was very verbal and his speech was right where it was supposed to be.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• The child that was in the speech therapy session with my son has it. Sweet boy. I couldn't believe how much he improved through the school year.
    Jadegirl1819

Answer by Jadegirl1819 at 9:18 PM on Jul. 6, 2010