Will my kids be okay if I don't allow them to attend their dad's wedding?

I am heartbroken that my ex won't change the location of his wedding from Mexico. Also two attorney friends of his that will be attending the wedding prosecute Mexican drug dealers putting everyone even more at risk. It's not safe for my two little blond kids to be down there but I think they should be at their dads wedding and all the festivities.

f2go

Asked by f2go at 8:45 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• If I were in that position I wouldnt want my kids to go either.... who would actually be watching them, because if he is getting married he wont be able to watch them properly during the wedding, reception and honeymoon.....
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 8:47 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• It depends on where in mexico they are having the wedding. Not all of Mexico is dangerously riddled with drug issues. My friend and his family goes to Mexico once per year for vacation and never have an issues and they are white blondies.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 8:49 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I agree with glamomomo. Mexico is a very dangerous place to be right now. Hopefully your x can understand that, and you just need to tell your kids the same thing. That you are very sorry but its not safe for them right now and they can see daddy when he gets home. If they are upset, that's okay. Its worth it to keep them home IMO.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 8:49 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I agree w/ kuriequinn.
    It depends on where in Mexico he's getting married. Are his parents going to be there? I would question who is going to watch the kids.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• my son wouldn't attend, he obviously doesn't want a large wedding with family if he's doing it in mexico unless he's mexican
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• i don't know all the logistics on safety, but i would be worried... then again he is their father and responsible for their safety BUT he will be preoccupied. maybe suggest that they have a special celebration for just the new couple and the kids when they get back or beforehand - maybe even some type of special ceremony that includes them so they don't feel left out. that type of wedding is mainly for adults... that sounds overwhelming for such young children.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:00 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• You know, normally I think kids should be allowed to attend their parents weddings, and be made part of the ceremony, but in this case, I'm afraid I probably wouldn't let my children go either. There are so many things that are scary about that situation. I don't know how old your children are, but try to talk to them and explain that as much as you would like to let them go, that if the wedding was in the United States, or maybe even a safer country, you would allow them to go , but because the location is dangerous, you can't do that. They may be upset, but I honestly think you are within reason to make this decision.

Good Luck
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:02 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I totally agree with you. You have to think about the safety of your children and Mexico is no joke right now. I live in Phoenix so I know! Even vacation areas are bad right now. One of my best friends is Mexican and goes back often, he won't even go right now.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 9:06 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• If he lives in Mexico however why should he have it somewhere else? If he doesn't live there then it is his own fault for having it there and you have the right to feel it unsafe. It is hard for that to be the deciding factor.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 9:17 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Of course the ywill be ok. I wouldn't let my child go to mexico under those circumstances either. If he wants them there, he would change the location.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 10:05 PM on Jun. 25, 2010