Tire Swing?

If you have ever put up a tire swing, where did you get the tire?

I don't want to pay full price!!! We have 3 beautiful, HUGE oak trees on the property, and the perfect limb for one in the back yard- I have such fond memories of swinging on one in my yard as a little girl, I want that for my kids too! But they're SOOO expensive!

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 8:53 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i used to have one as a child!
    SNJMOMOF3

Answer by SNJMOMOF3 at 8:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• get a used tire. or when you get new tires for your car, if they are the right size, use one of the old ones.
    AmazingAmanda

Answer by AmazingAmanda at 8:56 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My dad just used one from the car after the tread wore down to the point it wasn't safe to drive. There are some places you can buy used tires here where I live. Maybe you can find one there.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• just go to the tire place and usually they will have used tires there and the prices are according to how much tread is on them, so you could get a pretty bald one for less than $20
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:58 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Go to a junk yard to find a tire...and hose it down and spray paint it black with a good outdoor paint. You can drill holes along the flat side of it and hang it flat with 3 galvanized chains that are anchored with a bolt, and come together at the top on a single swing hook, or hang it vertically looping a sturdy chain through the center of the tire, and over a strong tree branch, and bolting the free ends together.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:03 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Thanks lori!!

I have a neighbor who OWNS a junk yard- I don't know why I didn't think of that!!!

We have the chains, the rubber hosing to pad the tree limb with (so it doesn't get gouged), and have hardware... I even remembered that I would need to drill holes in the bottom so rain doesn't collect! lol
    For the life of me, I can not figure out why I didn't think to ask Joe!!!
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 9:11 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• all good ideas above but when I looked into it I read that they typically use those ummm.... what do you cal them (the tires without the metal belts (wires)in them) this way there are no injuries. I wish I remembered what they were called but they also use these to make those horse looking tire swings. GL hun
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 9:14 PM on Jun. 25, 2010