Does putting foil over the windows actually keep a house cooler?

We live in a trailor house and it doesn't get cool during the summer. Do you think putting foil over the windows would help?

AmazingAmanda

Asked by AmazingAmanda at 9:05 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Maybe? Good question. It would probably deflect the sunlight away so it might? I know ppl put those foil windshield things in their cars to keep them from getting too hot.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:07 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I think it may as per the reflection. Also you can use that reflective water heater wrap, that would work even better!!! I have a mobile also and you can usually only make them so energy efficient. Anyhow they also make blinds that have this reflector on the outside (they are usually marked energy star efficient.... but those a WAY expensive (trust me I checked ha ha). On a side note most of the heat in a mobile goes out the roof and most of the cool does too and a lot of heat comes in this way too unless you have a false roof with insulation (worth looking into long term though) GL hun hope your energy bill starts getting better!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 9:11 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• i dont know about a trailer house but i put tin foil on the windows t the back of my house every summer and yes it helps i also found some curtians at walmart that deep the heat out they work very well
    mia35

Answer by mia35 at 9:13 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Sounds reason able since the foil is reflective and would reflect the heat causing light away from the house. KLinda like it's better to have a white roof than a black one.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:15 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Foil would reflect the sunlight, but it might look nicer to have white liners under your curtains. White doesn't absorb light.

Answer by Bmat at 9:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I used foil and black out curtains from walmart. I also made some by finding black fabric I held up to the light in the store and couldn't see my hand on the other side...then doubled it...that helps tons!!!!
    Momchipomkids

Answer by Momchipomkids at 2:50 AM on Jun. 26, 2010