My son has a loose tooth

at 4 is this to young? Should I be worrying? His older sister didn't loose a single tooth till she was 5 1/2 going on 6. Should I take him to the dentist? Sorry in advance for all the questions.

chloesmama_2007

Asked by chloesmama_2007 at 9:13 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Did he fall and knock his mouth or anything like that? You may want to call the dentist and ask just in case. Its possibly he's just losing his teeth early, but if he did knock it lose, you want to make sure he gets seen to check for infection or any other damage.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:17 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• you could actually just call your dentist and they should tell you if it's typically okay. also he should be due soon for his first checkup/cleaning. Sorry I cant be of more help. Both of my DD's haven't got a loose tooth yet (3 & 5) and I never got one until I was 9 (I kept mine unusually long though but that's a good thing though) GL and I wouldn't worry to much just call a dentist and ask.
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 9:17 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Hmmm...I have never heard of that but I guess it isn't unheard of. I may not hurt to call the dentist on monday. He may want to take a look to make sure it isn't broken under the gum or something like that though I would imagine that would hurt! Don't panic yet. It probably is just a loose tooth. Did get teeth early?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:18 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My son isn't due for a cleaning till December, so I will just call the dentist first thing Monday morning to see if she needs to see him or what. Thanks ladies.
    chloesmama_2007

Comment by chloesmama_2007 (original poster) at 9:19 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• That is on the young side. My boys didn't lose their first tooth until after their 6th birthdays. I wouldn't make a special trip to the dentist at this point, I would just make a note of it, and talk with your dentist at your next scheduled appointment.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:20 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• he was about 8 months when he got them in. when I wiggle it....he says ow and kinda cries.
    chloesmama_2007

Comment by chloesmama_2007 (original poster) at 9:22 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• my 4yo had a loose tooth and i took him in (they gave me an appt. the same day). the dentist said that it's really unusual, but what can happen sometimes is that the tooth gets injured and then the root is absorbed (and therefore the tooth falls out). it's not a big deal, but the 'adult' tooth won't come in until the usual time, so they will have a gap for awhile. you still need to get it checked out though, in case the reason is different for your son.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:22 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I am def. going to take him in Monday
    chloesmama_2007

Comment by chloesmama_2007 (original poster) at 9:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2010