Why hasn't the National Guard been used in La.?

CBS) All along the Gulf coast, local officials have been demanding more help from the federal government to fight the spill, yet the Gulf states have deployed just a fraction of the National Guard troops the Pentagon has made available, CBS News Chief Investigative Correspondent Armen Keteyian reports.

That's a particular problem for the state of Louisiana, where the Republican governor has been the most vocal about using all resources.

But nearly two months after the governor requested - and the Department of Defense approved the use of 6,000 Louisiana National Guard troops - only a fraction - 1,053 - have actually been deployed by Jindal to fight the spill.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/06/24/eveningnews/main6615414.shtml

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:30 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Sweet..I was being sarcastic hence the wink. Someone, I cant remember who, did the same thing to me about a Fox link. That had a direct quote too. I get a LITTLE sick of getting jumped on EVERY TIME I post a Fox NEWS link when everyone knows dang good and well that CBS is has it's own MAJOR bias but that should just be overlooked. As for the rest...I DO believe I agreed with you...

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 1:31 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• **sigh** Cbs...yeah THERE'S an unbiased source ;) Anywho, I have LOOOTTSSSS of family in LA, was born there, and I will tell you that LA politics PROBABLY rivals Chicago in it's corruption. It's SO bad. So I dont doubt this at all. I liked Jyndall, then my cousin who works in the energy field and is a muckety muck told me that Obama has screwed things up BIG time but Jyndall and his crew have big ole corrupt fingers in the pot too! :( It's really sad! In the mean time it's the regular folks that are getting screwed. Here's the thing tho...the left Screamed and STILL screams about Katrina when this SAME crap was going down...only THEN they blamed BUSH. The Feds CANT deploy the natnl guard the STATES have to put them to use. Same problem, different president....isnt it funny how the media coverage (and peoples view points) change.......

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Jindal should count himself lucky that he got even that many! The border states are still waiting for their National Guard to show up. SOMEONE doesn't know how to do what he said he would do, like make a phone call, send troops that were promised, I suppose he thinks that if he says it, it will get done all by magic or something. Instead of "If you build it, they will come", we have "If you say it, it will happen".
    29again

Answer by 29again at 9:56 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• It's Bush's fault.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:11 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I don't know, I think the gov really wants BP to take responsibility but if the Guard can help they should be used.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:41 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• 29, they are available to him, Jindal has not called for them
    sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 10:18 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• "Actually we asked the White House to approve the initial 6,000," Jindal said. "What they came back and said is the Coast Guard and BP had to authorize individual tasks."

But Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen, the national incident commander in charge of the government's response to the spill, said Jindal is just flat wrong.

"There is nothing standing in the governor's way from utilizing more National Guard troops," Allen said.

In fact, the Coast Guard says every request to use the National Guard has been approved, usually within a day. Now Jindal's office acknowledged to CBS News the governor has not specifically asked for more Guard troops to be deployed.

Whether it's simple confusion or the infusion of politics into the spill, the fact remains thousands of helping hands remain waiting to be used.
    sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 10:22 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• In fact, the Coast Guard says every request to use the National Guard has been approved, usually within a day. Now Jindal's office acknowledged to CBS News the governor has not specifically asked for more Guard troops to be deployed

WOW so your so biased that when Jindals office ADMITS that he didnt ASK for any more (while complaining that there arent more there) you still wont answer??? WOW....

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 11:16 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• The gulf states have been BEGGING for troops. There is a unit here that is ready to go, the problem is Obama won't approve them. I wonder why that is????
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:48 AM on Jun. 26, 2010