spin off: have you received advice from a childless person on parenting?

i have received "advice" as in judgement from people who have never had a child of their own. it never makes sense to me that they would think they "know" what they are talking about because they watched a show or babysat once. i also find it amuzing that someone who is a nanny and literally gets paid to watch a child would think they know exactly what it's like to raise a child. what about you? has anyone ever given you "advice" and you felt they had no clue what they were talking about? what was it about parenting-wise?

angevil53

Asked by angevil53 at 9:31 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in About CafeMom

• yeah, but this person has kids....lol but she still doesn't know what the heck she's talking about!!!!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 9:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Yes I have and appreciated her advice.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:34 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I haven't from a childless parent, but I have from a really bad mother. My sister tries to tell me stuff all the time, but shes an idiot so I don't listen.
    AmazingAmanda

Answer by AmazingAmanda at 9:33 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• my stepsister and about absolutely everything lol. and she barely even babysits (my nephews.... not once my kids) but somehow she is a fount of knowledge bc she works in a children psych ward and i guess that is her reasoning. i'm like hello..... you have experience with psycho kids......... what does that have to do with me?? or my kids?????? lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:34 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Ohhhhhh yes MANY times. My BIL's gf works at a daycare so she thinks she knows EVERYTHING about babies, and proceeds to advise me on raising my 10 month old. She's 19.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:34 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Yes, a family member tried to tell me that I should breastfeed [he has zero kids].
    And, DD's father's new wife automatically thinks she knows how to raise a child and could do it all on her own [she BABYSITS her godchild SOMETIMES!!].
    It's very frustrating because babysitting is NOT the same things as raising a child.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 9:35 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• i dont like people trying to tell me how to raise my kids. out side of people who know my kids and interact with them on a regular basis are ok and i will listen to their doctors and so on but as far as a childless non medical person. it would annoy me.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 9:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• YES!! I even had some 18 year old chick trying to tell me my son was autistic. I get that she worked in a daycare and has been around A LOT of kids, but she never saw my son. I had a class with her. When mentioned he wasn't talking much and didn't hear well, she automatically said he was autistic and never believed me when I said he wasn't. Turns out he needed tubes and went through 6 months of speech therapy. now he's good.

Blaiden

Answer by Blaiden at 9:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• after my first child i realized that people like to help by sharing advice. it doesn't bother me anymore. just the other day i was talking about having to buckle down on my 2 yo's tempers...i have been slack because of my pregnancy, and then new baby. anyhow, my step dad that raised one child was telling me about how you have to carry them to their room kicking and screaming if that is what it takes (duh!) just hard to do with a one week old attached to the breast!!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:49 PM on Jun. 25, 2010