Does anyone's toddler try to hit their head during a tantrum?

My son will try to hit his own head in the wall during a tantrum. I just hold him and protect his head. My doc said sometimes they do this. It still worries me.

mommylovesu28

Asked by mommylovesu28 at 9:41 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son did that startiing from age 9months to a lil over a year. I was worried also but the doctor said it's no big deal as long as they don't really hurt themself. He use to bang his haed on the wall and I would put my hand behind it. He grew out of it by 2.
    funmommy123

Answer by funmommy123 at 9:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• that's normal..... anything for attention
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:42 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My 10 month old bangs his head on stuff a lot too. It worries me as well but I think he does it to see my reaction. Maybe the same thing for your son as well?
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I dont' think i've ever had my kids do that. Could it be added attention and maybe if you ignore it, he wont' do it?...that's just my theory/opinion....
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 9:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My little brother did it until he was 6 or 7 years old. He's 18 now and pretty normal. Sometimes I wonder about that kid though. :)
    AmazingAmanda

Answer by AmazingAmanda at 9:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My son does that but not usually when throwing a tantrum. It's usually when he wants my attention. Lil bugger.
    krystie-tina

Answer by krystie-tina at 9:47 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• my daughter used to do that all the time whenever she got mad. her doctor just said to ignore it and she would realize that it hurt and she wasnt getting any attention and stop. after a while she stopped doing it.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 10:18 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• He used to until he tried it on the floor, then he found out it hurt. Now he just slaps his head. But only if i happen to look at him when he starts the tantrum. As soon as i look away or if he doesn't notice i am looking he doesn't do it. If he knows your looking or going to give attention he will continue.
    Nemhs

Answer by Nemhs at 10:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• my dd has done this ever since she learned how to throw herself back at 8months. she is 22months now and still throws herself back when she doesnt get her way. but after she has done it awhile she will slowly fall back and then start scream crying!
    MoMMy2aDiVA08

Answer by MoMMy2aDiVA08 at 11:12 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My 18 month old does that i think its to get attention i really dont know
    Tiffanysmama8

Answer by Tiffanysmama8 at 11:15 PM on Jun. 25, 2010