afraid to use the potty??

I just started potty training my son who is 19 months old. He tells me before he goes and during, he will say pee pee over and over again. When I ask him if he needs to pee pee he runs to his potty only to scream when I try to help him take his undies/pull up down. And if I try to sit him on the potty he lifts both his feet up and screams. He also now seems afraid to go at all. He will hold it and not pee in his underwear or pull up or the toilet, so then he screams and cries and I don't know what to do for him. I tell him he needs to pee in the toilet or in his pull up but that he can't hold it. He has peed in the potty a few times, but only small amounts. He will look and see himself pee and stop right away like it scares him. I know hes young, but I don't want to postpone the training because he can tell me he needs to go and he has the ability to hold it. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• With my youngest son I started training him at about 14months. He would pee but refused to poop in his potty. He did one time, looked down and it scared him lol. So when he had to poop I let him use the big toilet. I would just sit there with him.
    funmommy123

Answer by funmommy123 at 9:47 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Could it be possible that he has a urinary tract infection? Check with your pediatrician.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 9:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• He needs to see other people pee. Preferably another boy, but you will work. Let him watch you pee & explain this is how Mommy pees yours comes out of there. Also maybe try getting him a stool to stand on, just help him with his aim. Then he can play sink the Cheerio. A lot of babies feel like they are going to fall in the toilet. I hate, hate, HATE potty chairs, (something extra to clean up? No thank you) but if he continues to be afraid, try one. He can sit without feeling like he's going to be flushed down & he'll feel safer with his feet on the floor.

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 12:28 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I think it's possible it's just a phase. We started training our son at 18 months and he did the same thing for a while. I would suggest maybe gettting rid of the pull ups because I think at that age especially, it can be confusing for them where they really need to be going potty if you are encouraging him to use both the potty and a diaper. We got rid of diapers cold turkey and once he wasn't scared anymore, the accidents stopped and he has done really well. Also, are you using a little potty or having him go on the big potty? My son would not go on big pottys forever! He was terrified of them. Good luck!
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 9:23 PM on Jun. 26, 2010