When should kids start learning to clean?

armywifeCarson

Asked by armywifeCarson at 9:45 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My DD is 3 and we are doing small things. Like getting her to clean off her plate and tossing out her trash.

Mom2princessq

Answer by Mom2princessq at 9:56 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• As soon as they can walk! My DD was throwing away thrash and picking up her toys form about 18 month. My 2 year old helps now with those things and wiping down the bottom cabinets. She also clears her dishes. My son is 5 and does all of that plus he cleans the bathroom mirror. WE just keep adding things they can do as they get older. Not that they have 'set' chores just diferent things they can learn how to do and help me with when I ask.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:47 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• As soon as they "get it"....I always start with the "pick up pick up"....and show them how. My boys are just about 18m and they help me "pick up, pick up" :)
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 9:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• 4 or 5 yrs of age
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 9:47 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My youngest is 2.5, and he picks up his toys and helps me clean. (Well, he follows me around the house with a rag "dusting" and throws things in the trash for me.) He really loves helping me.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• By the time your child starts Kindergarten s/he should be able to do simple tasks, such as putting clothes into laundry baskets, putting toys in the toy box, etc.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 9:47 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• i made my son clean up some of his toys at 18 mo and he is three i dont make him learn i wait till he has a intrest and i reward him for it he put his dishes in the sink and laundry in the washer and picks up all his toys now and i help so he doesnt feel all stressed out! once they get intrested just give lots of praise and love!
    saadamarie

Answer by saadamarie at 9:47 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• well my son got it at 15 months he pushes in his chair after he eats.....he has to sit at the table he likes to be like a big boy.....he picks up his room and he puts his cup and what ever he has ate either on the counter or in the sink....i really didnt push him to do any of it i just told him a few times and he does it on his own now as for his 4yr old brother he has to be constantly told so i think its just up to the kid
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 9:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I have my kids start picking up little stuff like they're toys around 2-3years old. Now they are 4 and 6. The only thing I have them clean is their room.
    funmommy123

Answer by funmommy123 at 9:49 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• my kids are starting to show intrest they are 9 and 6. The 6 is better at cleaning.
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 9:51 PM on Jun. 25, 2010