How long do you think is too long to nurse a child?

Just wondering what everyone's personal opinion on the matter is. I really don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this... :)

young-not-dumb

Asked by young-not-dumb at 9:49 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• past 2. i think it's so creepy to see 11 or 12 yo kids who still nurse. that's just plain wierd.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• i think when a child is one then it should stop.
    funmommy123

Answer by funmommy123 at 9:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• 4 would be too old for me. Mine both nursed until they were 2.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 9:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I think a school age child should no longer be nursing.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Honestly I don't know what is the mark that cuts off too old. But my step-sister still breast feeds her 4(almost 5 y/o) and I truly think he is too old. It is just odd watching a child that old nurse. I think he should have been done a long time ago, but they just keep on going. Maybe I am being crazy about it, I don't know.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 9:51 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I know this is a touchy subject but IMO, if a child can ask for it by name or
    if a child can eat and chew meat, they can do without the breast...
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 9:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I think 6 is too old
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 9:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• So, by your way of thinking Mel, my 8 month old baby asking for his "Nur Nur" was too old to be breast fed?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:58 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• i dont think there is a magical age.my little girl is 18 months and everyone is already after me,.but she just doesnt seem ready
    Kiki_pie1979

Answer by Kiki_pie1979 at 10:06 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• As long as both the mother and child want to. The average age for weaning historically and world wide is 4 yrs old. The vast majority of kids will wean themselves by the age of 5. It is probably no coincidence that this is about when they start losing their baby teeth (also known as milk teeth).
    For those who think "It is just odd watching a child that old nurse." That is just because it is not common in our society.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:06 PM on Jun. 25, 2010