will it hurt his chances?

We are potty training but not going full force yet. He is in underwear sometimes during the day and a pull up also sometimes during the day. He has not used the potty yet really, just a little. If I put him in a diaper to go out will that confuse him. Or if he gets a diaper sometimes during the day. I also have a 1 month old that makes it hard to constantly take him to the bathroom. I've heard that switching back and forth can confuse them and hurt there self esteem. Do you think that is true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If your goal is to potty train, you are going to have to be flexible. You might try pull ups at night, during the day and letting him wear underpants in the evening or during times when the baby naps. Just take him to the bathroom whenever you have to go. Sit him on his potty and talk to him, sing, read a short book to him (Once Upon a Potty is the book I used with my daughter - it does describe the potty parts tactfully, but it also explains the purpose of the potty in a way that children can understand). Do this EVERY time you go to the bathroom - consistency helps. When you are done, check to see if he has had success. If so, put the underpants on. If not, put him back in the pull ups.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 9:58 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• i did the same with my son...and finally i had to just say ok no pull ups (sept for bed time) and NO diapers. with in a few days he was trained day time. after the pull ups ran out i told him no more ...even at bed time. and then i told him no more drinks after 7 pm and make him potty 2 time after his last drink before bed......he does really good now. and i am soo glad to be done with diapers. btw my son turned 3 in march..
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 10:04 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Yes it will confuse. It like someone telling you is ok to do dishes one way, then later saying no that way is wrong you have to do it this way. (sorry best example i could come up with). It will take time and determination. But using underwear during the day and taking him every 30 minutes. Then gradually making the limit longer will work. As for the diapers and pull-ups IMO throw them out. They just cause a lot of confusion even for night time. Take him to potty right before bed and right after he wakes up.
    Nemhs

Answer by Nemhs at 10:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I honestly think pull ups are the biggest waste of money. You pay more for fewer & they leak all over. I don't think what they are wearing makes any difference. I kept all of mine in diapers until they were using the potty 90% of the time. I had no desire to sop pee off of my couch. My youngest (20 months) is potty training, so if she is having one of those days where she sheds her diaper every 10 minutes & runs to the potty I'll let her wear some big girl undies, but only for about 10 minutes. If she actually pees on the potty, I'll let her go longer. But it's really no big deal unless you treat underwear as a reward or take them away as a punishment. Just keep that part matter of factly. I can certainly understand being busy. I would never remember to take my kids to try. I let them tell me if they want to try, otherwise I just take them with me every time I go & try then.

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 12:21 AM on Jun. 26, 2010