How to get my 5 year old to obey?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• be consistent with the discipline

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:13 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• When my 5 yo doesn't obey, he loses something. Either he loses his ability to play Wii, a toy, or an activity he was going to get to do. Took a little while, but he's much better now than he used to be. I just have to be consistent or we take too many steps back.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 10:14 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Wow... Umm... Do you mean you want him to listen when you ask him to do something? Or are you training a slave? If you are asking him to do something and he isn't then you need to be stern and make it clear that he has two choices - he can listen to what you ask or he can face a disciplinary action, be it time out or spanking or loss of privilege or whatever you use... If one thing isn't working, try another. You are the parent, make him understand that you are asking him to do things because that is what is best for him. When my kids don't want to listen they are given to the count of 3 to take action or sit in time out... Although honestly, they rarely don't listen, because I ask and give them choices... I don't expect them to just obey me like I'm some kind of ruler...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:17 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• You need to establish clear and consistent boundaries that have consequences if they are not followed. Losing privileges and favorite toys are surefire ways to get your child to realize you mean business! As hard as it is you cannot cave in--even though you want to when they look at you with their bog eyes! LOL The more consistent you are with YOUR rules, the more your child will respect you, and the easier it will become!

Children actually crave structure and attention. The children who "act out" are the ones looking for that structure and attention! Give it to them--but make it fair, attainable, rewarding, and positive! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:20 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Stick to one routine and one discipline. Use positive reinforcement.
    MoNKeyBoyz

Answer by MoNKeyBoyz at 10:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• expect to spend time dealing with the problem he is having...don't do it when you're trying to go to church or work...give a reasonable amount of time for the child to do what you said. consider if they can physically do what you want (find something, pick up the mess, is he hungry or tired and not wanting to fulfill your needs)..and if it's just "be quiet", or "lets pick up toys now" then if they don't do it in a reasonable amount of time, they go to time out for 5 minutes ( 1 min per year of age) and when they're done they do what you asked...or they sit in time out again. I learned a different way to discipline my kids of all ages from a counselor, pm me if you want to read it. don't freak out on him b/c it teaches him to freak out. be consistent and calm. good luck
    Momchipomkids

Answer by Momchipomkids at 2:45 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• You need to figure out one way for punishment and stick to it 110% of the time. Google 1-2-3 magic, buy the book, read it and do it. Your life will become less stressful and your child will learn to obey. Most of the time I only have to give my son 1 warning for him to straighten up.
    But the key to disipline is being consistant and make sure the "punishment" fits the 'crime'
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 11:08 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Read the book Have a New Kid by Friday by Kevin Leman. He had a great plan for helping parents be parents. When you are the parent, your kids will be able to do what you expect him to do. It's really an amazing book, a short read. It's both easy and difficult to implement, easy to do, but you have to be firm and consistent. It's worked wonders for me and my kids.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 12:16 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• You dont have to read a book on discipline. The key to discipline is being stern and consistent. This is something that should have started a long time ago. Dont break. If he cries and screams because you take something. Oh well. My daughter screams when she cant have her way and I tell her that I asked her to stop doing something and she chose not to listen, so Im choosing not to allow her to play. Point. Blank. Period. And its not up for discussion. Not at that age anyway. I give my daughter choices when its necessary but Im the parent. You, the child, you listen, you obey, and you be respectful. Now I also praise her alot. When she is doing something and when she does listen. I say to her give momma a high five, good job for listening or thank you for listening or you are being such a big girl by listening. And its working. Ive seen a major change in her behavior.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 10:32 PM on Jun. 26, 2010