Breastfed baby and vitamin D

My doctor wants me to give my 4 month old a vitamin D supplement. He is exclusively breastfed as were my other two children and I never gave them any. He is happy and healthy and I guess my question is, did you give your baby a supplement?

khedy

Asked by khedy at 10:29 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I chose not to supplement. My kids have very fair skin and we get a lot of sun where we live. I make sure they get outside every day without sunscreen, but not so long that they will burn. If we are going to be out for a long time, to go to the lake or the pool and be out in the middle of the day for several hours etc. then I will put sunscreen on them. So, basically, I just try and balance the sun exposure and don't give a supplement.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:23 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I never supplemented.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:30 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• no.... did the dr. say why he wanted a supplement? are yall very dark skinned or something? that is about the only reason i can think of
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:35 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Just a few minutes of sun exposure a day can give you enough vitamin d. Your breastmilk is fine for your son alone.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 10:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I never gave/give supplements. What was his reasoning?
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 10:38 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Thanks for the answers! She just said because "breastmilk is low in Vitamin D and he shouldn't be in direct sunlight since sunscreen isn't recommended for babies that young". I take him outside with my other kids daily so I don't think it's really necessary. But then I started to feel guilty for not giving it to him. Ugh!
    khedy

Comment by khedy (original poster) at 11:30 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I tried to give it to my dd, but the iron in it upset her tummy. And it smelled horrid! She gets plenty of sun, so I'm not too worried about it.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:30 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I have 3 boys and was never told that until my 3rd. I would just sit with him in the rocker by the window every day for 15 minutes instead. I did not want to give him anything he did not need.
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 11:34 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I agree with everybody else. Sun light will do the same thing =)
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 11:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My doctor changed her recommendation since my other two were babies (they are 2 and 4) with my newest baby she had me give him vitamin D, but she told me to go to Vitacost and buy "baby Ds" which is just vitamin D in olive oil, they only get one drop a day from an eye dropper, you can either put it on a pacifier or your nipple. She suggested I not get the kind you buy in the store that has other vitamins and things mixed in. I haven't been giving it to him since it's been summer, but she told me winter babies in areas like I live (Michigan) need a vitamin D supplement.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:54 PM on Jun. 25, 2010