Should I get my 13 y/o sister put on birthcontrol?

I am really at a loss right now. My dad and my sister's mom( my ex-step mom) are letting my baby sister run wild. She gets to do whatever it is she wants to do, they let her stay out all night with boys. Go to friends houses where they know her little boyfriend will be (he's 14) and things. I totally do not agree with what she is doing or them letting her do it. She does none of these things when she is at my house. But it seems they are turning a blind eye to her. And I don't think she has had sex yet, but I think she is considering it. I know I did it at her age, and no one would take my to get the pill so I was always worried about getting pregnant etc...What would you all do. I don't want to do it, but I really don't want her getting pregnant...Any advice would be appreciated.

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 10:30 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• i think you should talk to hey... have a "girls night" where you do all the girly things... paint nails, facials, ice cream out of the tub... then talk to her. let her know that you are worried and that you think she is better than that... ask her what she thinks about what her parents let her do... her intentions and all. get a feel for what she is REALLY thinking. she may not even be thinking aobut having sex yet.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 10:35 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• NO NO NO!! Birthcontrol at those ages are just dangerous! Their bodies are just now starting to create all the right hormones and placing a young girl on BC only damages that system. It causes infertility as an adult, a higher chance of cancer and many many other hormonal based issues.

If she is going to have sex then she needs to understand the risks at hand and know how to protect herself. Make sure she has condoms and sponges. Both will help to protect against pregnancy and condoms will help prevent STDs.

I was having sex at her age, so I know kids will if they want, regardless of whether their parents let them run or not, my mother was like living with a warden... But she needs to know what is really at risk - the hard truth. Get her to a dr and let them explain the risks of STDs, pictures are scarier than any words! And make sure she has protection in case she doesn't listen to reason!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Kids will find a way to have sex no matter what. So if she's showing interest in sex i would put her on the pill.

Mom2princessq

Answer by Mom2princessq at 10:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• can YOU put her on the pill? Where I live if they are uner 16 they have to have a parent/gardian's permission.... ( stupid I know) But if you can, I would. 13 is way too young for a baby
    reava

Answer by reava at 10:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Pregnancy shouldn't be the only worry. I agree with Sabrina, she needs to know the facts. I would have a sister day with her and start with that and if need be then take her to doctor for more information. Let her know you are there, that you are worried and you want to keep her safe.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 10:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Yes I WOULD try to get her on birth control.. I believe you can take her to a free clinic & they will give them to her..
    I would make sure Id give her a serious talk & if her boyfriend is ever around you (id really bring him around to get to know him) and let the know all the facts & make it clear you understage their age, hormones yada yada, but you would love it if she kept her legs closed! If she looks up to you it will mean more to her than you probably know..

I say get her on bcontrol because Id rather see a teen on birth control than trying to abort her own baby at home, being taken to the clinic for abortion or raising a child when she herself is still a child.. your not the parent so you cant change her ways, but you can do the bit you can do...

Good luck to you & I hope the best for your sister..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:02 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I think that Sabrina made some valid points.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 11:09 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Yes! If I were her mom, though. . . . things would be different! It's a good idea, she's too young to be a mom. She's too young to have sex, but if mommy and daddy aren't going to take steps to prevent that from happening, at least she is kept on birth control. That sucks. Remind her about STD's too, sometimes kids think the pill prevents these.
    Amber211

Answer by Amber211 at 11:24 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• wow i made so many errors from typing too fast! sorry!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I agree with Sabrina.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:56 AM on Jun. 26, 2010