PPD?

Okay so last night I was so depressed for no reason at all really and everything my husband said to me just made me cry even harder. I even locked myself in the bathroom and used the rest of the tissues.

Did any of you experience postpartum depression? And was it as bad as my experience? How long did it last and when did it start?

For me, it didn't start right away, maybe 2 or 3 weeks after my daughter was born and it's not all the time. I'm extremely happy for the most part. I love being a mom and I love my daughter and husband, but some days and some parts in some days I am depressed to the worst extent.

R_Thurtle

Asked by R_Thurtle at 10:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in About CafeMom

• Yes it happened to me after my second was born. I remember laying on the living room floor crying just wishing it would be quiet and I could be alone. I ended up calling a therapist I had used for couples counseling to see me on my own and going on anti-depressants from my family doctor. You are not alone and it won't be forever but there are things you can do to make it better like talking to someone and exploring medications.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 10:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My experiences were much like yours. It was really bad after my last child but that was componded by the news that I would risk my life to have more. I did seek counseling. After about 3 months it still wasn't getting better so I did take meds for a while. It turned out my hormones were really screwed up. If you haven't had you six week check up be sure to mention it to your OB/GYN. If you have had it it might be a good idea to make an appointment just to make sure things are going in the right direction. As soon as my hormones were stabalized I didn't need the anti-depressant anymore. Good Luck.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2010