My 15 month old son has a hard time sleeping through the night - any suggestions?

My doctor says 'let him cry it out'. I try. Its heart breaking. and he's so upset. I have also let him sleep with us, but that means no one gets any sleep. Does the cry out method really work? I've read all the books on getting your baby to sleep but so far, i must be doing something wrong since he's still not sleeping more than a few hours at a time. Help!

momtobedepot

Asked by momtobedepot at 12:09 AM on Jun. 28, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• little bit of sleepy time tea helped my son
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 12:10 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• We're going thru it here too! My LO is 15 months (next week) as well and his upper molars are coming in so I am thinking that is what is making him wake so much more often than usual. He's never really slept all the way thru the night without ever waking, but lately he's been crying when he wakes (more like screaming) which is unlike him.
    nicarue824

Answer by nicarue824 at 12:15 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• First of all, I would like to say that every baby is different. What works for our baby, is putting her in the crib after her last feeding of the day while she was still awake. One of the best things we learned, is being CONSISTENT. I never liked the cry it out method, but sometimes we just had to do it. If she cried for more than 5-10 minutes, then we would pick her up. If not, she'll cry for a minute or so, and go right to sleep You can tell by the cry, if it's serious or not. It wasn't done intentionally, but for some reason we never rocked her to sleep. I'm so glad we never got her used to it. Be patient, it will get better if you are consistent. Take care!
    steph305m

Answer by steph305m at 12:25 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I have older kids but, here is one idea... does he still take a bottle if he does att baby cereal to his bottle, you will have to cut the nipple hole a little bigger but it will work, try putting night time orolgel on his gums and then try to do the cereal thing, if he does not take a bottle then make sure he has a heavy snack before bed time, we have always been told by peds that baby's are like men, they want to sleep after having a heavy meal.
    Luvdolphins

Answer by Luvdolphins at 12:34 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Cry it out works for most babies. Yes, it is heartbreaking to listen to.

If you decide to do it, here are some tips:

First, keep in mind that he isn't screaming because he's feeling abandoned or unloved. He's a toddler throwing a fit, screaming because you aren't doing what he wants.

At nap time, tuck him in, kiss him, and tell him to have a good nap and that you'll be back in an hour. LEAVE. Set a timer for 1 hour. If he's asleep, great. If not, get him up with a big smile and happy "I hope you had a good nap!"

At bedtime, tuck him in, kiss him, tell him to have a good night's sleep and that you'll see him in the morning. LEAVE. Don't go back in unless you can really think something is wrong.

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:03 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I can't do the cry out thing ether.

I read a few books and took what I felt work for us. My daughter is now 17 months and has only recently started sleeping through the night. We have established a good routine: a large meal, bath, and singing time. My daughter will fall asleep on her own shorty after we sing night time songs. She knows that I love her, that the worlds a happy place and I keep my sanity. Our routine takes a 20-45 minutes a night, it is some of the best time we spend together all day.
    sondrajoy

Answer by sondrajoy at 1:24 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• DON'T USE CIO It is very very very bad for babies!! USe your instincts. Check out the CIO alternatives groups for ideas that you can use that don't involve leaving your chlid screaming for you for hours. CIO can cause physical and emotional distress for babies. Please... don't do it anymore. If your instincts tell you it is bad, listen to them!!
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 1:33 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• At 15 months, he's crying b/c he's not getting his way, not because he's hurt or hungry... so don't feel TOO bad if you decide to go with it. Do your normal night time routine, even rock him a little, then put him in bed when he's almost asleep. Let him fuss for 9-10 minutes. If he's still screaming, go in there and soothe him without talking. Then put him back & let him cry for 9-10 more. You might have to do that several times the first night, but if you stick with it, it will work within a few days. If he wakes up in the middle of the night, let him cry for 5 minutes, then check on him, but keep it as quiet as you can. It really worked well for us! I disagree with people who say it's bad for the baby... children with colic cry for DAYS sometimes & they're fine.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 1:52 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Crazy - it's not the crying - its the abandomnent that is hurtful to babies. They cry because they need something, even if that need is only to snuggle. What is so hard about laying down in bed until the kid gets to sleep and then sneaking out. Why would you want a little one to lay in his bed and cry until he realizes that you just are not going to come? I know it works for some people, and some people just seem to tune the babies out, but this person claimed that she didn't like it, so why push it? Check out the CIO alternatives group, if you don't like it and nothing else works for you... then try something else!
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 1:56 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I agree with Kacee. He isn't crying because you hurt his feelings but bc ur not doing what he wants. I was told to give them something to sleep with like a blanket or a stuffed animal so they have something for comfort since you are normally their comfort. It didn't work at first but after being consistant it helped. I avoided the blanket since it was easier to take an animal with us than a blanket. I tried the sleep training too. It worked after about 3-4 days. The first day she screamed for about 45 min which really killed me. The next day it as 30 minutes and then the next 15 .. it worked after that. Don't get me wrong -- i'm not a terrible mom that lets my child cry but before i did that i made sure she wasn't hungry, had gas, was having teething pain, ext ... If your sure then you can try it. Good Luck!
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 9:11 AM on Jun. 28, 2008