do you think the brewing huricain will send the oil spill further inland effecting many more states?

sweetestkitten

Asked by sweetestkitten at 10:54 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• There are a lot of factors that come into play. After reading NOAA's FAQ's I am not as worried as I was before reading it. It helped make some sense out of it, but still it just depends on where a hurricane or TS tracks.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:06 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Yep Quinn...but I will say our luck down here aint runnin so hot! LOL. I am kinda worried just for that. AND to tell you something strange, we have had a BUNCH of spiders and for some reason when we do there is usually a bad hurricane season! Weird I know!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• you know, i have nightmares about it raining oil. i don't know if it would be that bad, but it scares me!
    june_kitten

Answer by june_kitten at 11:31 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Oh, I would still worry about storms, and possibly about oil in any storm surge, but the FAQ's dispelled some of the thoughts of raining oil and such. There is still plenty enough to worry about, but and I have been told by my parents and grandparents, prepare for the worst but don't borrow trouble.

REALLY? Spiders? Ughhhhh. Yuck. I can't stand spiders. I can handle snakes, but spiders just freak me out. Especially wolf spiders - the one's where the mama spider carries her babies on her back (looks like warts or something) and when they get spooked the babies just scatter. OMG! That's what my nightmares are made of. I hear that Psycho music in my head when that happens.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• omg Quinn they cover EVERY window and make webs across the driveway EVERY night...that mu hubby drives through EVERY morning....stupid spiders! My girls were at my bedroom window yesterday watching one rolling her meal up! And there are like 3 BIG spiders and 4 or 5 little ones PER web! And as quick as you take them down UP they go again! It's insane!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:58 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• You need some dirt dawbers to take care of your spider problem.

How about banana spiders? Those things are tough and their webs are made of some really strong suff. Those things freak me out.

Last year we went and visited my mom who was moving into a new house and I think because the house had been open during construction there were a bunch of hobo spiders in her basement. Those things are nasty and they hide under stuff. She didn't have anything set up so they were trying to hide under everything. Now that I have been thinking about it I am not going to be able to sleep tonight. I'm exhausted - kids went to bed late last night and woke me up around 6 this morning. I might just have to deal with nightmares.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:25 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Oh no!! I am sorry! LOL..and yes they ARE banana spiders and some crab spiders (weird buggers!) But MAINLY the banana ones! By the TONS! I am pretty over it but my dd walked out of the house for school a couple years ago and walked RIGHT INTO the web that was across the door and the spider wnet down her back..omg you have never SEEN a child FLIP OUT like that! She wouldn't walk out the door first for WEEKS!! ok...that was probably a bad story! LOL...I promise not ta say ANYTHING else about that!

The possibilties of your OQ have people down here REALY unsettled tho. Because as much as they tell you it SHOULD be ok they are wrong more often than not and that tends to make you worry!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:34 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• The possibilties of your OQ have people down here REALY unsettled tho. Because as much as they tell you it SHOULD be ok they are wrong more often than not and that tends to make you worry!

And for good reason.  Unfortunately, with the current disaster playing out in the gulf, there would be little if any resources to help with additional damage from wind and water.  We see how they are dropping the ball all over the place with regards to a national crisis that is effecting several states, it doesn't exactly inspire confidence that they will have your back when push comes to shove.  It's almost as if you need to form your own smaller community task force to take care of your own business because you know if you need anything from the government you will be standing in a very long line.  All we can do is prepare as best we can and learn from our experience. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:44 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• interesting about the spiders... animals of all kinds have a sensing of danger coming.

I am concerned for those in the hurricane path with the oil. I hope its not bad!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:31 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I have read conflicting reports about how the TS will affect the oil and cleanup efforts. Obviously any cleanup will have to be halted to prevent damage to the containment vessels. Some are saying that so many dispersants and surfectants were used in the early days of the cleanup that it's conceivable to some of the oil to actually evaporate and be pulled into the storm itself. The storm surge will coat the beaches in oil as far as the surge goes. There are geologists who say there are actually several other cracks and fissures around the initial blowout site, and a pocket of methane under pressures reaching 100,000psi. If a strong enough storm comes in and batters the remnants of DH, or really any of the other rigs connected to these damages lines, there could be a massive underwater explosion as that pressure is released.
    I have lived on the gulf my entire adult life, and never before I have been scared of the season
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 11:49 AM on Jun. 26, 2010