What kind of bathing suit do you put on your kids?

We went to the water park today and I noticed a lot of people don't put just swim trunks on their boys anymore. A majority of the boys I saw had swim trunks and those swim shirts on. I even saw some girls wearing bathing suit bottoms and the swim shirts. Is this just to keep the sun off of them, or a modesty thing?

GavinsMommii

Asked by GavinsMommii at 10:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

•  My Son wears swim trunks and that's it. He looks adorable in 'em (just like He does in everything He wears)!

ajtherad

Answer by ajtherad at 10:55 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• My family recently moved to Florida from Canada and we got long-sleeve UV protective shirts (sometimes called rash guards) to help protect us from the sun. We still wear sun block but felt we needed an extra layer of protection with the shirts.
    KendraR

Answer by KendraR at 11:00 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I think that's mainly to keep the sun off. Those parents who are worried about modesty (me being one of them) usually go for a one-piece - although some do opt for the swim-clothes style.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 10:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My DD wears a one piece she is almost 2
    melk819

Answer by melk819 at 11:02 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• It is really for sun protection. Most of the fabrics are treated with a chemical that makes them equivalent to an SPF 50. My son absolutely hates them though. We bought one and he wouldn't keep it on, developed a rash and it seems to kind of drag him down in the water a bit so I gave up on it. Hes really sensitive to fabrics!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 11:03 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• when I was younger I wore surf shorts and a swim shirt(up until i was 17) I grew up in cali and was at the beach/surfing all the time
    but dd wears a 1 peice
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 10:59 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My son burns easy on the neck so I bought him a swim shirt. He refused to wear it until this year though and I think it is because he is self conscious. My girls wear one pieces. My fair haired daughter does burn easily on the back though and I have considered the swim shirt two pieces for her for that reason but I don't think she'd like them as she is very girlie.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:00 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• i let my dd wear a bikini...she's been wearin one since she first went swimmin at lk 9months. i think it's just cute!
    MoMMy2aDiVA08

Answer by MoMMy2aDiVA08 at 11:01 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I agree with the posts above, but for my kids, so far we've just done trunks for my son and a 1 or 2 piece for my dd. The 2 piece is easier for her to put on herself and to go to the bathroom with.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:06 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• DS just wears swim trunks, he loves the long board short kind, he thinks they make him look cool lol He doesn't burn easily though, if he did I would prob put the swim shirt on him as well.
    GavinsMommii

Comment by GavinsMommii (original poster) at 11:08 PM on Jun. 25, 2010