Would it be rude to ask if we can come now?

My fiance's good friend is getting married on July 10th. The wedding is 2 hours away (where is fiance lives), and the reception doesn't start until 6pm. We have a 10 month old son who we had no babysitter for at the time that we needed to RSVP. So I put that we weren't coming. Well now my mom said she can take our son and we could just drive back home at like 11pm if we wanted to go. Would it be rude for my fiance to ask if we can come now? Or would we not be able to regardless because of our RSVP?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Relationships

• I don't think it would be rude to call the groom and explain everything and ask if is ok to change your RSVP and come to the wedding/reception. If he is a very good friend he would probably be glad to hear that things worked out and you can now attend the wedding.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:24 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Ask as soon as you can. If tonight is too late, then early tomorrow. Since it is a good friend, then there is flexibility about what is proper or allowed. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 11:17 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• If theyre good friends, they'll want you there and will squeeze you in. Just ask asap.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 11:21 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Let them know you have an opportunity to go, and see if it's ok with them...
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 11:21 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• No it is not rude as long as you let her know. If you just showed up, then it would be rude. Two and a half weeks is plenty of time for her to change the numbers. Call tomorrow though.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:22 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I would ask your fiance to call his friend, and feel him out, you know. I think he'd be fine with it! But if there was some huge big stressor over it, then he's be able to kind of feel that out, as well.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I say go ahead and ask the worse they can do is tell you no
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 11:19 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I would say have your fiance call his friend (maybe have his fiancee on the line too) explain what happened, say you would love to be able to share their special day with them, you do realise its short notice but would it be really inconvenient for them for you to attend now?
    Healthytomorrow

Answer by Healthytomorrow at 11:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I don't think its rude to ask. Just say that if it is still possible you'd like to change your reply to yes. I'm sure they'll be happy that you were able to change your response!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 12:15 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I agree with the others. It doesn't hurt to ask, but be prepared in case it's too late and they say no.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:17 AM on Jun. 26, 2010