Has anyone trained a therapy dog?

I'm looking for resources and advice on training a therapy dog. I have a four month old puppy who has a great temperment and would like to look into training him as a therapy dog.

KendraR

Asked by KendraR at 11:18 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Pets

• I haven't but I always wanted to because I think my current dog would have been great. But he's a little over 5 years old so I didn't do it for him.
    Try asking your dog's Vet if they have any resources. OR when I worked at Petsmart some of the non-profit groups that came in had resources for that too. So, maybe you can go to Petsmart on Saturday when they do dog adoptions and ask them if they know.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 11:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Google trainers in your area that specialize in certifying therapy dogs. You will have to go through several levels of obedience to first get your CGC (canine good citizen) and then move on to the therapy training. I have researched it, but have not gotten to that point yet with my dog due to time and $, but it is definitely a great thing to do. Good luck.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:18 AM on Jun. 26, 2010