The golden rule

Contrary to popular belief, every faith does not include it, so a question for those who do claim it - at what point do you hit your limit? How many times will you be placid in the face of abuse or disrespect before you stop treating someone the way you want to be treated and instead treat them in the manner they've earned? 1 chance? A dozen? How long will you suffer a fool?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:29 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• the golden rule doesn't mean that you have to be nice to someone. i can think of plenty of scenarios that would require 'tough love' and a good kick in the pants. if i was in a scenario like that (and i have been) i would expect someone to give me the reality check i deserved. the golden rule is to treat others the way you would like for them to treat you..... not to be a doormat.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:33 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I am a Christian by belief. So although I forgive infinitely (always, every time) I will not put myself nor my family continuously in harm's way, nor does the bible teach otherwise.

Hope this helps.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Following the golden rule doesn't require being a doormat. Its not about bending over backwards and taking abuse or disrespect. Its about handling ourselves in a way that is respectful no matter the situation. Its about not cussing someone out when you choose to disassociate with them, but its not about never distancing yourself from those who wrong you. I don't believe in ever "giving them what they deserve", but in being the better person and just removing myself from situations that hold no hope of improvement without going out of my way to offend those involved.

No matter what anyone does to me I'm not going to do or say anything I don't feel is right, no matter how much they" deserve" it. No one dictates my behavior for me, I am in control of myself (usually) and my behavior isn't contingent upon others willingness to follow the same social/moral code as I.

And we all slip, so I'm not saying I'm perfect or anything, lol
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:51 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• the bible's version says ''do unto others as you would have them do unto you''..not ''do to others, until they screw up by screwing you'' or ''do unto others because they do what you want them to do to you''. using the golden rule as a rule of thumb means to treat others in the manner you yourself wish to be treated. its kind of like forgiveness..treating others with respect is as much for the respecter as it is for the respectee. afterall, you are the only one that has to live with yourself. if you screw someone, you have only your own heart to answer to. at the end of the day, you're the one who needs a good night's sleep, and for most people, knowing they've treated others ill, might rob them of rest.
    however, my God doesn't expect me to put myself out there to be treated like crap continually. i'm responsible for my own actions; that includes not letting people hurt me.
    eh..that's all i got. i'm spent.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:01 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Do unto others as you would have done to you.

If I somehow get a personality transplant and start randomly abusing strangers, I would hope someone would tell me about it.

It doesn't mean taking abuse after abuse. It does mean not returning abuse.

I forgive my mother for all the abuse she put me through. I don't allow her unattended with my children. Just because you forgive someone doesn't mean you grant them carte blanche to ruin your life. It just means you don't hold on to anger.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:48 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I do unto others as I want them to do unto me. This doesn't mean I take abuse, there is nothing there that says you need to hang around people who abuse you. If someone was treating me bad I would kindly leave the house or wherever I was. As an adult I've  never been in the situation you describe because I choose not to be  around angry or abusive people.  I would expect others to do this to me if I were abusive.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:36 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• The problem with the golden rule is that those who are less sensitve often treat those who are more sensitive badly.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:11 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I was taught the Golden Rule was "Do Un To Others As You Wish Them To Do Un To You" how does that require any chances or taking of abuse? It's the same as the "Harm None" rule of Wicca... It doesn't mean you have to bow down and take abuse, it just means you should have respect for others and treat them the way you would like to be treated...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:49 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I agree with bandgeek and Sabrina.

How does following the Golden Rule make one a Fool, or accepting of abuse OP?

It's focused on your behavior, not the behavior of others.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:22 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• This is what I feel people misunderstand about this 'rule'.

Yes my grandmother taught me to 'Do unto others as I'd have them do unto me'

You know the way I interpret that? Is not only what would you 'like' but what would you expect. So yes if I were being a rude little snit to someone I would expect them to be rude & snippy back...or like if I were making a mistake &/or bad life choices I'd want someone to be honest with me and give me a wake up call etc...and vice versa.

So I don't view it as a way to be 'placid in the face of abuse' but rather more of a give what you get kind of thing...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 3:31 PM on Jun. 26, 2010