my 4 month old is starting to resent her crib!

she slept in it since she was a month old and now she is taking a liking to being next to mommy! She will fall asleep nursing and with me but as soon as her hea touches the crib she is welling! I havent given in I keep putting her in there but she never gives up! we've been up for TWO DAYS! why is she doing this and how do I get her to sleep in her crib again?

lilbabybugs

Asked by lilbabybugs at 11:33 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Could someone else put her in her crib? Put her down in her normal routine. When she starts to cry leave as normal. For me I would stand outside the door where my baby could not see me and if they cried for a few minutes but not in distress I would leave them. If they got distressed go back in, reassure them and carry on....
    However I must admit there were nights where I went to bed with the baby just to get some sleep.....
    Dont know if this helps, but all my kids did end up in the crib and my 22 month old still uses it and still tries the crying tactic especially for nap time
    Healthytomorrow

Answer by Healthytomorrow at 11:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• She probably feels safe next to you. My son was the same way he loved sleeping next to mommy. I gave in though and let him sleep beside me the whole time i was nursing.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 11:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Hun, I know it's hard but she is going through separation anxiety with you. Keep doing what you are doing and sooth her if you need to....like rubbing her back, or massaging her face gently with your nails...this would always put my son to sleep....and when you leave she's gonna cry....it's natural and it may take a while and it's gonna drive ya nuts...that's where sleep deprive comes in....just make sure she's safe and can't hurt herself.....good luck
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 11:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Try putting her in the crib and leaving your hand on her stomach and not walking away immediately. If she thinks you're still there she'll probably allow herself to go back to sleep. Don't pick her up, just leave your hand on her for a bit after shes in the crib so she doesnt instantly wail.. Then leave the room as quietly as possible!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 12:06 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• You're also very warm, mama. She notices when you're not holding her anymore. I'm not sure how wiggly your baby is at night, but before my DD (she's almost 5 months) started moving a bunch, I'd take 2 receiving blankets and put them under my shirt for a couple of hours. That way they smelled like me. Then I would roll them up real tight and put them on either side of her below her chest that way she felt like she was being held and could catch my scent. This works best if the baby is still being swaddled.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 12:13 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• It's her nature as a baby to want to be near you, it is hard wired. Your baby is behaving normally; its the crib that is artificial. It is vast and cold andnot living, she doesn't know where she is only that you aren't there. Put yourself in a baby's perspective.

I sidecarred our crib and we cosleep. We all get sleep. I haven't been sleep deprived since the first 4 weeks, after that
    i learned how to nurse lying down without a light. . http://www.freewebs.com/sidecarcrib/

I've never liked cribs or our society's obsession with separating moms and babies. So much effort goes into tricking the baby into thinking mom is there, creation of elaborate bedtime routines, when it is so easy just to do as nature intended.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:09 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Ditto what amileegirl said. Bring that breastfed baby into bed with you! It took me a few months to figure that out with my first. I was going to do it "right" (ha ha!) and have baby in his crib from day one. Then I got smart, and my next 2 babies went right into bed with me (I use a side care crib as well). Check out Should I sleep with my baby?  and Rethinking Healthy Infant Sleep

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:28 PM on Jun. 26, 2010