What do you think makes people feel entitled?

There are some people who just feel entitled to park at the curb at the expense of other drivers who can't see around them in parking lots for example, who walk right in front of you as you are holding the door open for your children or who push past you in lines. Today a woman was banging on the back door of the athletic club that clearly had the rear entrance CLOSED sign up in the parking lot as if she expected a special entrance just for her. What makes people feel entitled? Were they brought up spoiled or just rude? Do you think they know how inappropriate their behavior is?

jamesonjustines

Asked by jamesonjustines at 11:33 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Relationships

• I wouldn't say it was because they were spoiled necessarily, but because they were never taught to take other people into consideration. No, life isn't fair, but sure is a lot easier to deal with when people have the common decency to realize how their actions effect those around them.

Example: This lady would pick her kids up from school, and park on the hash marks next to the disabled spot. Well, those hash marks led right up to the walkway....a very busy walk way at that. So those of us who used that walkway, had to maneuver between her big suburban and bushes. It wasn't impossible to navigate, but a pain in the ass none the less. Especially for those of us who were pushing strollers. It was just rude, and inconsiderate. Had she taken others into consideration, she'd of parked in one of the MANY parking spots right next to those hash marks leaving that walk way open.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:08 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I think it has a lot to do with the way someone is raised. Everybody is so concerned about everything being FAIR. You can't do this because its not fair to whomever, you have to do that because so and so will get offended if you don't. Well guess what, life isn't fair! That is why we have so many crazies running around losing their minds because they didn't get what they wanted. And I've also noticed that if you give someone special treatment, you better expect every other person to want it too. I used to work at a YMCA and some program instructors would make extra spots in a class that was full, for someone who waited too long to sign up. Well word got around and pretty soon, 10 people would wait till the last day to sign up and expect you to make room for them since the class had been full for 3 days.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• some people are just born that way. my ex-bil is like that. the most worthless pos you ever wanted to meet but he thinks the world owes him something.... he is somehow superior. i just don't get it
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:36 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Were they brought up spoiled?
    Yes

and as a result

Do you think they know how inappropriate their behavior is?
    No

There's a fun show on VH1 right now called You're Cut Off. They took a bunch of wannabe heiresses, canceled their credit cards, and are making them live in a suburban tract house, clean up after themselves and actually get jobs. Some of it is obviously exaggerated for tv, but the level of general cluelessness is ENTIRELY on the backs of their parents.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Ignorance.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 12:00 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• i went to the library by myself with my then 3yr old and newborn. i was holding the door for my son to go in and trying to push it open with the other hand so i could get the stroller in the door. this man walks up to me and shoves past me, nearly knocking me down, to get in. i could not believe it. i think these kind of people must surely know that they are assholes.
    june_kitten

Answer by june_kitten at 11:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I believe they were handed everything an maybe not expected to be thankful. It's truly something you have to teach people....to appreciate and not expect.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 12:09 AM on Jun. 26, 2010