My 8month old ((months on July3rd) is sleeping on his stomach, should I flip him? Is he still at risk for SIDS?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The risk for sids doesn't decrease until 12 mo. There are other things you can do to decrease the risks; breastfeed, use a fan in the room, don't use bumpers, don't use sheets, ect.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:10 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• There are things you need to look at first before deciding. Does he have a lot of items in his crib? Does he have bumper pads in his crib? Is there a big blanket or anything in with him? If you answer no to all of these then at 8 months old he should be able to move his head well enough to cause no harm. However if you answered yes to any of them then he is at risk!
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 11:45 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• no, my dr. said once they can roll it's ok for them to be belly sleepers. they'll just roll back anyway lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:45 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• yeah i'm pretty sure he'll be ok...I think it's after 6 months the chances of it decreases a lot
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 11:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My doctor told me if they can flip themselves back over they are fine. My 5 month old has been doing that for about a month and he can't flip himself back over which makes me nervous, but what can I do? I can't stop him from rolling. He's been waking up about 2 or 3 times a night fussing and I turn him back over and give him his pacifier and he goes to sleep. I really need him to figure out how to roll himself back over and find his own pacifier!
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:45 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• if he is rolling over then I'd leave him. I asked my doc this when my 1st started to roll over in his sleep and asked her again when my second started doing it.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Its ok. Once they can roll themselves onto their bellys, they are safe sleeping there.
    kwaverysmom

Answer by kwaverysmom at 11:54 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Once they start rolling there isn't much you can do to keep them on their backs.  If you move him he'll just wake up and roll back over.  I was told by every one of our pediatricians that once they can roll they are safe to sleep however they want.  My youngest was rolling back to front at 3 months and after that slept on her stomach.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I was always told that once they can roll over that they are ok to sleep on their stomach. I would lay them on their backs and they would be on their tummies by the morning.
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 12:09 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• No worries. I just had my dd's 6 month check up and asked the same question. Doc said that the risk of sids is almost 0 at 6 months because the baby is mobile and can move herself around so she won't suffocate.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:19 AM on Jun. 26, 2010