Do you have to worry about sunburn scalp with a "buzz cut"?

My 5 year old for the first time this summer has a "buzz cut". I can see his skin through the hair now, whereas I didn't before. He's not into wearing hats. Do I need to spray sunscreen on his head now?

Kajon

Asked by Kajon at 11:56 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Health

• I would. If you can see his scalp, so can the sun. I always get sun burnt where my hair is parted.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• YES! I have a full head of hair and have to worry about a sunburned scalp. Where my hair is parted I have to put sunscreen or wear a hat. I get a terrible sunburn on my scalp if I don't, I mean to the point that it blisters and it REALLY gross. Now that his hair is short, don't forget the back of his neck and ears.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:58 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• yes...,. and the spray is really great for that
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:58 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Yes. I always sunscreen my boys' heads when their hair is so short that their scalp is visible.

Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 12:01 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Yes. Put some sunscreen on his hair even if it doesn't all touch his scalp as it should reflect the sun's rays. ESPECIALLY if your little one burns. My kids do not at all, but I do put sunscreen on my son's hair because he has short hair, and then on my dd I just do the tops of her ears.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:01 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• DS has a buzz cut and I always just spray down his head while I'm spraying his body down. yes, it COULD burn, so it couldn't hurt to take precautions.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 12:04 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I would!! My dad is bald and gets really bad sunburns on the top of his head, I image a buzz cut wouldn't offer much protection :)
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 12:08 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• thanks for your responses. I figured I'd be spraying sunscreen but I didn't recall boys with buzzcuts having greasy or spiky hair from the lotion. So I wondered if there was enough hair to help shield the skin.
    Kajon

Comment by Kajon (original poster) at 12:56 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I woul duntill he gets a good tan on it.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:45 PM on Jun. 26, 2010