Any ideas on good meals for a picky 3 year old.

My DD is so picky when she does eat I get really excited lol!

Mom2princessq

Asked by Mom2princessq at 12:19 AM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• sheppards pie...mashed potatos over meat, corn, greenbeans in gravy...yum!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 12:23 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Are you planning to stop catering to whims of a picky eater? If so, here are some suggestions:

First, make sure that she is drinking water, so she doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she will start eating.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:06 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Parents who cave are part of the reason why one half of American children are be both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed

Answer by rkoloms at 8:07 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Three year olds won't eat just anything. I remember giving my son chili one night for dinner. He actually separated the meat and beans from it all. He would only eat the meat out of it. That's when I learned not to mix certain combinations together because I knew he wouldn't touch the food. I reintroduced the food to him at a later time when his eating habits changed and his palette for food changed. Simple is better when children are little and sometimes fingerfoods go over better than foods needing a fork. Some ideas would be pieces of chicken, sandwiches or cold cuts that can be picked up with the hands, puddings, jello, tuna, macaroni and cheese has always gone over well. Just some suggestions.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 5:07 PM on Jun. 26, 2010