Do you get annoyed when moms ask if they should move out of state with the kids, without asking the child(ren)'s father how HE feels?

It's almost as if his opinion doesn't matter. I know that sometimes moms feel they need to move out of state for economic reasons, etc, but if the kids have regular visitation with their father, shouldn't HE be consulted? Isn't it better for the children to have a relationship with their father than it is to have nicer things because mom got a better job out of state? Isn't it worth sacrifice to stay local?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Jun. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• I know I never got that. I personally would want my DD to be near her father if we weren't together.

Mom2princessq

Answer by Mom2princessq at 12:34 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I can't imagine why anyone would want to take their kids away from their dad. Unless he's a deadbeat. It's so sad.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 12:38 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Well if the father loves his kids enough and the mother doesnt consult the father, she can be brought up on charges for this. To move out of state she has to consult the father, and if the father doesn't agree he can petition the courts.

So really, they are being not only cruel to the father, but putting their rights at risk as well.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:42 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• not to say it's right, but chances are, the father would never allow it...then what?...it sucks.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 12:34 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I understand how desperate a person can feel sometimes though. I have been in the unfortunate position of not really being in a good state of mind at points in my life. Only now looking back can I know what mistakes I have made. So, maybe they ask because they are in a situation like that. I just hope that they take the time to seriously consider consequences before jumping into something. I would never have wanted my kids not to be able to see or talk to their dad.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:41 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Well we can turn this around too. What about when a dad has a better opportunity to move out of state? Is HE required to ask permission? Both situations involve moving away, where the children will ultimately be effected. In both situations, they NEED to discuss it for the child(ren's) sake. However if the primary custodian finds herself struggling financially, why should she be forced to struggle when she can do so much better taking a different opportunity? It's really all about what is BEST for the kids, not just how mom/dad feels.

With that being said, moving out of state without consulting the other parent while there is a custody agreement in place would probably be considered kidnapping....so it's not wise to go down that road. But it doesn't necessarily bother me when this particular question is asked...maybe it's my belief in the greater good, but I think they really just don't know if they can move.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:44 AM on Jun. 26, 2010