I was just wondering...

...If you believe in a God/Goddess/Gods/Goddesses/Deity/Force Of The Universe/Etc.

How did you come to follow that particular set of beliefs?

Was it "gifted" to you by your parents?

Did you stumble into your beliefs, and suddenly "find" god?

Was it after exhaustive study and "soul searching", that you determined you could in fact follow a chosen path?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 12:40 AM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Was it after exhaustive study and "soul searching", that you determined you could in fact follow a chosen path?

Mostly that. A lot of reading and research and up until that point, nothing else had clicked. Then I found one that never contradicted science.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:42 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• a lot of praying went into it.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 12:43 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• This question has been asked before many times.

But, basically, i knew from the time i was young that i was not Christian. When my mom was studying with the JW's i learned of Pagans. Didn't think much of them at the time. When i was in jr. high i discovered wicca and started practicing it and learning about it as much as possible. I felt such a strong connection. I'm assuming it's the same way real Christians feel when they are in church.
    Eventually, with time, soul searching, meditation, study, i have left the wiccan branch and am a happy Solitary Eclectic Pagan who uses a lot of Eastern practices.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:44 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I believe in god because my parents laid the foundation when I was a child. We went to church and I went to church camp. As I grew older they let me decide if I wanted to keep going and I did. I plan on doing the same for our daughter.

Mom2princessq

Answer by Mom2princessq at 12:44 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I'm a spiritual atheist, so I don't believe in any of the above, however I don't completely discredit everything either. I just don't happen to see a big guy or girl or whatever up there in charge.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:44 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• yes it was after extensive studying and "soul" searching,
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:45 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

________________________________

I know, but not everyone who would answer ATM, necessarily has anon priv yet (I was morbidly curious- kwim?)
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 12:49 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I believe in a limitless number of Gods & Goddesses...

My mother is a JW, so it didn't come from her. It was just something that came naturally, like a memory from a time before now. The earliest I remember talking to the Goddess was in first grade. Again, it just came naturally... I assume it's just residual from past lives or past non-lives.

My chosen path kinda chose me. I was 6 when it sought me out and I announced I was a witch. Since then I have studied a great number of Ancient religions and belief systems and believe that they are all correct in some ways... So my beliefs are very all inclusive. (To much to type in here, but I have a journal for those who are curious)

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:52 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I'll admit I was raised in a family that believes in God, but belief in God was never pushed - my brothers, for example reject the belief in God. The reason I believe is because I feel His presence in my life, see His hand. That and because I've studied and followed my own convictions my whole religious life (which started at 4). Dogma/doctrine was never pushed - my mother cared more about getting us to ask questions and think for ourselves, so we've always followed our own hearts when it comes to what we believe - I just happen to believe very strongly in the existence of God, and I feel I have a relationship with Him.
    The way I see it, billions of us can't be wrong about the existence of something, right? ;) There are only 4 options : either we're all wrong and delusional, one group is right, we're all right and there is One God, or we're all right and there are different gods. Given those options I believe God exists.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:57 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I don't believe in one particular religion, but I do believe in God. I don't think that there is one "right" religion. Anyways, I could go on and on about what I specifically believe, but I'll just answer your question. I was never indoctrinated, if that's what you're asking. I was taught about many religions, and chose for myself what to believe . It was after a lot of "soul searching", yes, and it was after a lot of doubting and questioning. I never discounted the idea of atheism. For me, it's something I feel. I don't need scientific evidence to prove everything to me. I also know that I have had prayers answered beyond circumstance. Believe it or not, there is also a lot of science that suggests intelligent design of some sort. If you research it, you can find it. People say that the non-existence of a God has been proven, when in fact that's impossible. cont..
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:01 AM on Jun. 26, 2010