Feeding a 3 month old?

how much does your lil one eat? my lil guy eats all day long but only a little bit at a time, it's more like he's just snacking all day. But at night he sleeps from 11pm-7 or 8am, so he doesn't eat at all during the night. i think his sleeping at night is awesome, but is he eating enough during the day? i switch between formula and breastmilk, when he gets a formula bottle, i normally make a 4oz bottle and he slooowly finishes it over an hour period. but then 30 minutes later, he's hungry again. could i be feeding him too much/little?

nickellmomof2

Asked by nickellmomof2 at 12:59 AM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It sounds to me like he is fitting all of his feedings into the day time hours, which is fine! I think you are doing the right thing by following his lead and letting him have frequent small feedings. He knows when he is hungry and he knows when he is full. If you try and force him into a schedule he will learn to not listed to his body, and that can lead to overeating and weight problems later in life. I say keep up the good work!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:20 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Are you a first time mom? It can be so difficult to know as a first time mom. I would say judge his behavior, does he seem content? I have four and every one was different. I had a snacker who liked to eat a little bit at a time. Nothing I did changed that. As long as he seems happy and is gaining weight I wouldn't worry too much.

SandraLee242

Answer by SandraLee242 at 1:08 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended the first 6 mo. If you breastfeed all the time your body will adjust and make more milk. If you give bottles then you make less milk. If your baby was just breastfed you could tell if your baby was getting enough if your baby gained 4 oz a week or a pound a month. You CAN overfeed your baby. Overweight babies can have lifelong weight and health problems. Sleeping through the night isn't good. Babies brains need nourishment for growth and development and shouldn't go all night without food. I would wake a sleeping baby to eat. Going that long without nursing could also decrease your supply.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:55 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• when my baby became three months old i started giving her baby cereal in the morning and at dinner time you could try that if hes getting hungry fast and i started her on a few baby foods carrots and prunes mostly.
    virgomom1988

Answer by virgomom1988 at 10:22 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• he was exclusively breastfred until about a week ago when i started work again, i pump when he gets formula, so don't worry about my supply. my question wasn't about my supply, it was about making sure my little man is getting enough, he doesn't nap during the day, and eats all day long. he won't eat if i wake him up to feed at night. so please no more bashing on me chosing to supplement or my milk supply!
    nickellmomof2

Comment by nickellmomof2 (original poster) at 11:42 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• If he's creating 6-8 wet diapers a day he's getting enough.

I do have to warn you that you are hitting the point where you are going to notice a drastic change in your pumping output and you are going to have to make adjustments. Women who have pumping experience and supplement often get stuck in a downward spiralof supplementation and low supply. So just making you aware to cut it off at the pass.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:51 AM on Jun. 26, 2010