How long did it take you to potty train?

My son is 3 and we've been potty training for a few weeks now. He's getting better. Still having accidents, but I feel there's hope yet! He even got onto the potty last night without me reminding him. Didn't do anything, but it's a start, LOL.

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 1:13 AM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Oh, both of my kids were freaked out by public restrooms especially walmarts cuz of the loud noise. For a while I had to use pull ups when we were out until they would at least sit on it for a lil while when they said they had to go.

It sounds like he is ready. One thing that helped me a lot is using a timer and in the beginning I set it to every 15 minutes then as they got used to going I set it to every hour until they were completely going on there own without me asking them to go.

Your doing great! Keep up the great work! One thing that made me feel better about the whole process is knowing that they wont be having accidents forever lol. Eventually they'll get the hang of it and go consistently.
    tanya777

Answer by tanya777 at 1:33 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• When my children were completely ready, it took a few weeks. My advice to you is to wait till you know without a doubt that hes ready. If you push him it'll more likely frustrate you and then frustrate him and then make him not want to go. That was my issue with my kids. I pushed them to go on the potty, when they were not ready. Just because I'm ready to train them, doesn't mean they are.
    tanya777

Answer by tanya777 at 1:18 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Each kid was different. anywhere for a month to 2 months!
    TNmom2three

Answer by TNmom2three at 1:14 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• about a month..
    Mom2princessq

Answer by Mom2princessq at 1:15 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• It took me about 2.5 weeks to potty train DD. She seemed interested when I purchased the "big girl panties." That seemed to motivate her. Good luck.
    adoredby3

Answer by adoredby3 at 12:48 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Its different with each kid. My oldest daughter was almost 3 when she was fully trained but then my middle girl was almost 4. And my youngest whose 2 thinks its funny to sit on the potty and won't go unless its by miraculous chance.
    ginnylyn

Answer by ginnylyn at 7:03 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I know....my son was potty train by the time he was 18months... he hated diapers it also help that we had our daughter then and he called her the baby him the big boy .IMO Pull up hinder potty training. Don't waste your money....buy extra undies.
    sillyme85

Answer by sillyme85 at 9:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Definitely not pushing him, but he is showing signs that he's ready. Daycare has been working with him and he's been going on the potty more and more, alot without me asking him to. He gets freaked out by public restrooms still however. He'll ask to go, but then once we're in there, he won't have anything to do with it. So I don't push it. But not fun when he's having an accident in the middle of the aisle, LOL.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 1:21 AM on Jun. 26, 2010