What's the deal with your neighbors?

Did you introduce yourself to them?
Did they introduce themselves?
Do you even know who are your neighbors?
Do you think that befriending neighbors is the biggest mistake some anyone can make?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Jun. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• I know some of my nieghbors.  We just go new ones next door (after our friends of 20 years moved out).  Next them is a family I've known for 21 years (since we moved here).  Nex to them is my son's best friend and his family.  Next to them is a guy that has lived in this neighborhood forever and gives all the kids candy.

On the other side of me is a nice family with a little boy that likes to terrorize my girls (he's 3 and in love with my 10yo daughter...oy).  Next to them is the "little old lady".  21 years of living here and I still don't know her name, lol.  Her granddaughter was my middle dd's 8th grade buddy when she was in kindergarten.

I know several other families up and down the block and across the street from us.  Some I've known for a long time (20 years), some I only know by sight, not name.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:30 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• We're friends with most of out neighbors, we BBQ with each other, etc. I think it's a good thing, I feel safer knowing my neighbors, like they're more likely to watch out for us and notice when something isn't right.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:44 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• My neighbors have been really nice, when we moved in I had to do alot of it alone and the couple next door came over and offered to help me get the furniture in, another neighbor invited me over for a home interior party, and we mest all of our others just from doing yard work and from the kids school since they are all in the same class. After 2 1/2 years we have a good relationship with all of our neighbors, everyone is friendly and they are very nice people. One even watered my flowers while we were on vacation because the friend who was watchign our house kept forgetting, the same neighbor even built a outdoor shelter for everyone who had outdoor cats during the last nasty winter we had. I think we are very lucky.

When we were renters we never had neighbors like this, most people ignore renters which i think is sad.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:31 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• They introduced themselves in the beginning....five years later we are starting to think becoming friends with them was not the best idea....we are starting to feel taken advantage of, and it's hard to get away from, since they are always right there!
    When we move, we will be sociable with the new neighbors, but not as close as we are to the current ones :)
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 1:34 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I know all our neighbors by site, im REALLY bad at names anyway.. Nothing to complain about really.. Im seriously shy so it sucks.. It would be nice to get a little friendly with some of them since we have kids the same age (under 5)... But no one really uses their front yard really.. So its by chance to see someone...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:58 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• My across the street neighbors introduced themselves when we were moving in last summer.
    My next door neighbors have about 10 people living in the house, one kid has CP and is mean.
    My other next door neighbors only introduced themselves when their dog got in our yard.
    Otherwise, no, we do not know our neighbors. I think they turn their noses down at us because we are just "renters". We are mere squatters. We go out of our way to be nice to them. But it's like talking to a wall.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:49 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• We have wonderful neighbors; people we trade childcare with, trade meals, sit and chat with with the kids play.

Our situation is unique, because we live in a city, not a cookie-cutter suburb.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:21 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Well, the neighbors across the street are very quiet & keep to themselves - it's a cemetary. There is one house next door to us and we're very good friends with them. We have BBQs together, have gone on camping trips together and just generally hang out. The neighbor behind us is my Dad, so yeah, we know him well..lol. We don't have any other neighbors, so it is nice that we are all close here because we look out for each other. We're like one big happy family, really.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:20 PM on Jun. 26, 2010