What would you do if you lived in an apartment and had no hot water or stove for 6 days?

I live an apartment complex and our building (11 apts) haven't had gas which means no hot water, gas for stove/oven for 6 days.
Now its the weekend and there is no way they are coming.
This is unbelievable!

GDIMOM

Asked by GDIMOM at 1:30 AM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Home & Garden

• file complaints, demand a decrease in my rent for that month
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 1:32 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Legally your landlord must provide you with accommodations that are equal to the house you rent for the duration of the time you have no gas. I would demand that he puts you up in a suite with a kitchen or a regular hotel room and pays for your meals until it is fixed. Or if you stay with family, they have to prorate your rent and give you a refund for the time you were out of the house. We have had a similar situation in two different places we have lived.
    A soon as we brought up the landlord's responsibility, they okayed us staying some where else. No stove or hot water is considered unlivable.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:36 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Call the local housing authorirt! That is againts the LAW!

That is what I call a SLUMLORD!
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 1:40 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• If that is against the law they are in some big trouble! There are 11 units and at least 20 kids under 11 live in my building. UGH
    I complained and the manager's supervisor was there. She said they were waiting for a Quote.
    My ex and my neighbor thought calling new would help the situation.
    Going to make some calls Monday.
    Ridiculous!
    GDIMOM

Comment by GDIMOM (original poster) at 1:45 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Call your landlord tomorrow and tell them you expect them to put you up in a hotel until they get the problem fixed. Make sure you look up renters rights in your state, to be sure of what the law is where you are.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:49 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• we called the housing authority in our city one time b/c my air conditioner didn't work. they said it was heat that had to be provided. Maybe call them?
    Momchipomkids

Answer by Momchipomkids at 2:25 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Does your landlord know this? Is gas included with your rent? If so and the landlord knows of this problem, stop paying rent... put it in escrow or hold on to it...
    Call the health dept in your area.... contact the gas co and find out what the problem is...
    (my dh manages complexes for lg co.s and this is a no no)
    Also contact your local press/media... they tend to gravitate to stories like this...

Good Luck
    Oh and yes the gas co will come out on weekends if it's an emergency and this is...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:35 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Call code enforcement. We had no heat in the middle of winter in Colorado 1 year for almost 2 days. They kept saying someone would be out ASAP, well I got fed up ad called and sure enough my heat was fixed within 30 minutes!!!
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 1:14 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Wow! I agree with the others. Problem is who is in the office on the weekend? You have to turn them in on this. Maybe it's time to do apartment hunting. They would have to give you your deposit back because they have left you without all this and not fixing it.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 1:27 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• If you have gone to your landlord and still nothing,go to everybody you can think of.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 2:28 PM on Jun. 26, 2010