Government Grants, what's the catch?

I am interested in obtaining a grant, but I don't want to end up paying a lot of money in finding one or being penalized by taxes. Has anyone secured a grant and what did the process involve?

izyandchrismomi

Asked by izyandchrismomi at 1:45 AM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Money & Work

• Are you looking for a grant to start a business? Build a road? Fund a school?

Answer by rkoloms at 7:53 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• It depends, if it's for school then you don't have to pay it back and all you have to do is fill out the fasfa and it will tell you what you qualify for. That is even a slim chance as there isn't a lot of money to go around these days for education. If it's for anything else go to your local library and do some research, a lot of times you haven to apply to another organization and then be selected. It's a very lengthy process to get grants for anything besides school and even that isn't easy. Be ready for a very time consuming venture.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 10:54 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I'm not going back to school, I would like to; but with 3 small children and a part-time job it isn't practical right now.
    I was reading an article about how you could get grants to help with your mortgage, credit card debt ( that has to be over $10,000 ), or other debt and I was wondering if anyone had been successful in securing a grant for that type of thing and if they had to pay any of it back.
    izyandchrismomi

Comment by izyandchrismomi (original poster) at 10:49 AM on Jun. 27, 2010