Would You Insist On a Prenup?

I am considering marriage again at the age of 53. He is 55. divorced and really no personal property, with two children who are young adults. I am a widow. My house is almost paid for, all household items are mine, I also have a daughter, almost 18. I have a few nice items left to me by my Grandmother, I would definitely want my daughter to eventually have. I have mentioned a prenuptial to him, but he insists they are the wrong way to start a marriage. Am I wrong in thinking we should have one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• too each their own. I do think prenuptial agreements are a bad way to start a (what is supposed to be) life long commitment. BUT it's different for everyone and depends on the situation and circumstances.

although, i have to say, asking for a prenup is probably making him feel like you don't trust him. Which is a problem. Perhaps you should sign up for pre-marital counseling instead.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:49 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• For your situation, No I think a Prenup is understanding.. You have yours & he has his... You are only trying to protect your daughter.. Especially if something happened to you first... Or maybe he is good, but his kids/family may be greedy sometime in the future..

Young couples just starting out or something like that, Not a fan of prenups.. But oddly, not in this case.. In a way I may point out is there something inside you saying to worry? If so I think I would really put more thought into the relationship before proceeding.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:52 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I don't see a problem in your situation but i would explain things and your thoughts to him before hand. I would feel you own him that much.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:12 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Prenups definitely protect your investments, and from the sounds of it, you have quite a few. Talk to him about this, and your concerns. I can see both points of view, but if I were in your shoes, I would be insisting on the prenup.
    mistical_me

Answer by mistical_me at 2:50 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I would definitely insist on one. I had a considerable amount of money when I married my ex and now I have none of it - I SO wished I had pushed the prenup, but he wouldn't sign one and I was too young to realize that sometimes things happen (divorce).

Answer by missanc at 8:08 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Explain to him that you are wanting one for your daughter. If anything where to happen to the two of you there needs to be something in place so it is clear that she gets the things from her great grandmother and is taken care of in a way that you and your husband had planed on. If he can not understand and respect that you need this for your daughter than you need to rethink your relationship.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 11:06 AM on Jun. 26, 2010