How do I say I am sorry for a death

S'il vous plaît noter que l'anglais n'est pas ma première langue.

English version: http://translate.google.com
My eleven year old girl Emilie's best friend Anny's dad is dying.
He has been struggling with pancreatic cancer and finally slipped into a coma.
It was heartbreaking to know that he is dying. Anny's family is staying at their summer house where the dad loved to go. He is currently in a hospital bed in their living room. A hospice nurse is watching over him 24/7.
I do not know what Emilie should say besides "I am sorry for your loss".
She never met Anny's dad and Anny never talked about him openly.

Any suggestions?

Auburgine

Asked by Auburgine at 2:01 AM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Sometimes " Im sorry for your loss is good enough" That's all i would say. Maybe your DD can also let her friend know that if she has to talk about anything she is there for her.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:04 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Saying, "I'm sorry for your loss is appropriate". Just being a friend is more than enough. Sometimes there is nothing you can say but being there is enough.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 2:06 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Correction: "im sorry for your loss" is appropriate.
    Mel_in_PHX

• Je vous remercie!
    Auburgine

Comment by Auburgine (original poster) at 2:09 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Your daughters friends dad has not passed yet, so she has not lost him yet. Tell your daughter to tell her friend that she is there for her, and when he does pass, tell her to say that she is sorry for her loss. Careful though. Kids that age often take death differently. I avoided it, and still try to. I did not know how to deal with it at all. But if you teach her, and coach her on being a good frind of someone who is losing a loved one, she will be fine.
    mistical_me

Answer by mistical_me at 3:02 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• saying that she is sorry for her loss is a good start. Maybe she could let her friend know that she is there for her if she ever wants to talk or just hang out. since this has been going on for a long time her friend may want/need a break from death and may want to just hang out or go to the beach. or shopping. sometimes the loss doesn't hit for a few days , weeks or even months. Just make sure your daughter understands that the next year will be the hardest because her friend will be going thru a lot of firsts w/out her father. first day of school, first halloween, first christmas, first birthday, first fathers day etc these may hit her friend hard. good luck.
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 10:30 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• She need say nothing more...than she is sorry.Just her being a friend and spending time with her little friend shows she cares.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 3:43 PM on Jun. 27, 2010