What do you do to keep the "Fire Burnin" in your Marriage?

It seems like I have been seeing a lot of relationship questions regarding cheating and people falling out of love w/their spouse/significant other... So I thought of this general question to give people some ideas...

believejohn316

Asked by believejohn316 at 2:37 AM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• We never really had to work at it. Its just there. Guess I'm blessed!
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 2:41 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I should add that we've been together for 16 years.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 2:42 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Unexpected ways of showing your love and affection. Little things (things that do not cost money) to say that you love someone. I recently got a voice mail saying, "I am glad that you didn't answer, because I wanted to leave you a message telling you how beautiful you are. How awesome you are, and how wonderful you make me feel."

It gave me shivers!!!
    mistical_me

Answer by mistical_me at 2:42 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• My hubby and I have a very, very strong relationship we have a lot of commuication and respect for one another and one anothers feelings. We have an amazing sex life and we have a lot things in common we both feel we were made for one another.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:50 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I think that being kind to each other and doing small things for each other is important. I remember after I had my twins I had a rough time (I may have had alittle PPD and didn't know it) my husband catered to me for a while, making me dinner every night rubbing my feet, and just sitting close to me. It meant a lot to me and still does. I try to find ways to give him the same treatment back. Even when he is grouchy, instead of getting offended I just be nice to him and support him through it. This keeps us very close. It's like we are on the same team. Also I'd say being honest and open and always working on a good sex life helps. Sex is bonding and can smooth over all kinds of things. When you let this waine a disconnect can settle in and it can be hard to figure out the cause.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 8:57 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I have been married 38 years and I constantly tell hubby how much I love him, I call him just to hear his voice and tell him so, I leave little messafes in his car unexpectedly and I try to do things with him even if they are not my cup of tea. I make sure I am beautiful for him by taking care of my bod and be pretty when he comes home from work.

Answer by older at 9:45 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• We have a date night at least once a month, sometimes more if we can swing it. Alone time is absolutely essential to maintaining a strong healthy marriage. The kids were at camp this past week and we went away to a romantic bed and breakfast for an amazing night away to refresh and reconnect. Most of our time we spend together as a family, but husband and wife time is a priority. I've seen many a marriage fall apart in the name of putting the kids first, last, and in between. Without a marriage, you don't have a family!! We have a lot of respect for each other and we also have a good sense of humor. We've been through a lot together in our almost 15 years of being married, and sometimes you just can't take life too seriously! I also strongly believe in respecting your spouse and not taking your problems to your best friend, your mother, the internet and everyone else. If you have a disagreement, talk about it with your husband
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:46 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• cont don't go telling every Tom, Dick and Harry who will listen what an insensitive jerk your husband is. No wonder so many people have marriage problems. I would too if I talked about my husband like he was an idiotic moron who was lower than the dirt on the bottom of my shoe to complete strangers every time he left the toilet seat up, or left a dirty dish in the sink. You can't expect your husband to treat you with respect if you don't treat him with respect. How would you feel if he was telling his buddies stuff about you behind YOUR back? Another thing is that you can't be selfish in the bedroom. If you don't keep your man satisfied, he's going to find someone else who will. A very wise lady that I went to nursing school with, who had been married for 20 plus years told me once " What you did to get your husband is what you gotta do to keep him." I've never forgotten that!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:51 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• doing something exciting together always keeps the fire burning for us.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:56 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Relaxing by taking walks and having conversations one to one. Quality time for us.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 2:05 PM on Jul. 1, 2010