What do YOU do when you're pregnant and you have a cold (nasal congestion, sore throat, the works)?

I just want this crud to go away and nothing I have done is working so far! Grrr. I've tried saline solution, vicks, gargling with salt water, hot raspberry tea, hot cocoa, cough drops, everything. Nothing has worked. What has worked for you?

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 3:04 AM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Health

• Saline spray, sitting in the bathroom inhaling the steam, humidifiers, vicks rub,
    Hope it works!
    midnight11287

Answer by midnight11287 at 3:08 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• oh... some good warm water, honey and lemon juice ( fresh is better) ... drink tons of it. The lemon will break the stuff up in your chest and honey is good to sooth your throat.
    midnight11287

Answer by midnight11287 at 3:13 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Sounds like you've tried everything I did. I didn't use the saline spray though, I used a netty pot, I don't know if that makes any real difference but that did seem to help me.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:15 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I tried the netty pot today and it made my nose and head burn like mad. And I think it just made it worse. I will try the lemon thing though.
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 3:17 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Peppermint tea with a little sugar. or Tylenol products is what my OB said :) Fell better!
    A.NandD.NMommy

Answer by A.NandD.NMommy at 3:24 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Maybe you used to much salt? It shouldn't burn...
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:24 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Lemon tea with honey.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 3:27 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• i would not have too much dairy and try thr netty pot thing or a hot steam bath and there is a list of ok things for you to take while pregnant check with your doctor.i know that when i was pregnant i was allowed tylenol and sudafed.
    luvmyaustin

Answer by luvmyaustin at 3:29 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I never do anything, preganat or not. None of the cold meds work well anyway.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:47 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Avoid dairy while you are sick – it can increase the amount of mucus your body produces.
    Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient.
    Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother.
    Emergen-C will help you stay hydrated and give you an energy boost; be sure to mix it with cold water. The lowest price is at Trader Joes, though it is sold just about everywhere (Target, Walgreens, etc.).
    I am a big believer in the power of foods. This healing foods pyramid from the University of Michigan is great: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm
    Get some Elderberry syrup. The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 7:49 AM on Jun. 26, 2010