Do you have a dog with hypothyroidism?

My dog was just diagnosed with it, he goes in tomorrow for blood work and to test a dose of meds for a few weeks.

He's had it for a year now, the vet thought he had an allergy problem, I started questioning that, I had a feeling it was a thyroid problem and asked them to check for one last week. He didn't have any weight gain or temperament changes so they weren't really considering it but everything else looked like a thyroid problem to me. I'll be looking for a new vet soon...

If you dog had some hair loss did it grow back? and how long did it take?

I've heard the meds for this are pretty affordable but I was wondering what it cost you a month?

Blueliner

Asked by Blueliner at 3:10 AM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Pets

• My golden retriever has it. She has had it for years but was diagnosed a few years ago. The medicine cost us about $12 every couple of months. She has to have the Iams Lamb and Rice and that is all that she can eat without throwing it up. She has never had the hair loss. We have her shaved every spring and I quietly wish that her hair would stay that way but it always grows back. We always laughed thinking we just had a lazy dog who thought she was a cat, turns out she just had hyperthyroidism. Once she started the pills she actually started acting like a dog. She is up chasing birds and is like an 8 year old puppy.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 5:16 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I have not heard of that before.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 26, 2010