How would it make you feel?

Hubby and I have been planning on taking our 3 year old DD to see Toy Story 3 ever since we saw previews for it. This will be her FIRST movie theater experience. Since it came out, though, I have been on bed rest so we haven't been able to take her just yet. My mom comes down and suggests taking her back with her to visit and says she's planning on taking her to see Toy Story 3, even though we've been telling her it's something we've been planning on doing since we heard about. We told her no, we want to take her, we've been planning it for months. Her reaction is, "Why haven't you taken her yet?" Like she doesn't know the answer. Of course it's because we haven't been able to with me on bedrest, so it's been put off a bit. Then she says, "Well, when are you going to take her?"

She doesn't even realize how rude it is to embark on our plans that we've had for a long time. How would this make you feel?

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 3:13 AM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• Oh btw, I'm not on bed rest anymore so we plan on taking her tomorrow, but still. It was a bit inconsiderate of her to just kind of try to dump all over our long term plans. My husband is upset because she is always there for her FIRST TIME experiences when he wanted to be there. So I can understand him being upset.
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 3:15 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• that would be upsetting.. and you have a right.. if i where you id have her back off a bit so your husband can feel more important. it has to get to him. and she had no right! have fun at the movies and i hope she does well at it im thinking about taking my 3 year old to see it!
    Crystal8788

Answer by Crystal8788 at 3:19 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• well I can see being upset if she had actually taken her to it, but you stopped it so try to just go and enjoy yourslves. I dont know your situation but it probably isnt your moms fault that she is there for the firsts and not hubby...why is that? If its something that cant be helped, be grateful that someome is there to enjoy it with you versus being angry. thats not fair to mom....enjoy the movie I hear its wonderful.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:21 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• it would make me feel as though she's over stepping boundaries. If you told her YOU wanted to take her, she should respect that. Im sorry you're having a rough time. Good luck.
    A.NandD.NMommy

Answer by A.NandD.NMommy at 3:22 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Well, one of the things was we were gonna take her to the pumpkin patch to get a pumpking. Her first time. I told my mom about it and she ended up taking her herself instead of waiting for a time when hubby can take her. (He was working at the time.) That was one thing. And then the other times didn't really involve my mom, but he missed her first step, her first crawling etc because he was out on duty or in A school for the Coast Guard. So now he's trying to capture everything he can since he missed alot of her baby time.
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 3:24 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• My hubby would be the same way. You all enjoy the movie and tell your mom that she needs to lay-off a bit.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:45 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Remember that you are in control of the situation with your child and tell your Mom how you feel. Mom's don't always respond the way that we hope they will when we tell them how things make us feel but I have learned that you have to do it anyway. It's important to have your voice heard and it will make you feel better about the situation. I would keep my DD around me until I got the chance to go to the movies or anything else I worried my mother might do before me. I would tell her we are super busy right now and she'll have to wait another weekend to see her.
    ErinRenee815

Answer by ErinRenee815 at 4:44 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• It sounds to me like your mom is deliberately trying to take over and do the things you tell her you want to do with your DD. My suggestion is that if it's really important for you and your husband to do "xyz" as a first....don't tell your mom.

If you hadn't told her about the pumpkin patch, or the movie, do you think she would have come up with those ideas? Just something to think about. GL
    inkydorei

Answer by inkydorei at 5:54 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I would tell her why and how important it is you take her. GL Momma
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:40 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Maybe she does not understand why it is so important to you. I do not understand why. It is just a movie. You can rent it and watch it at home in about 3 to 6 months. Going to the movies is over rated to me.

Answer by louise2 at 7:42 AM on Jun. 26, 2010