If you were a "cutter", how wil you tell your kids?

Do you ever worry about what your going to tell your kids? What I mean is, I have scars, DD has asked about them before and so far I have just sort of brushed the issue off. (she is only 4 BTW). I know I will have to tell her eventually, if she asks. I am just not sure how to explain it to her. Anyone else delt with this? And how did you, or do you plan to tell them?

RheaF

Asked by RheaF at 3:23 AM on Jun. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• i would never say anything, maybe a cat scratched me when i was younger. then when they are old enough to realize, the truth?
    joycegina

Answer by joycegina at 3:25 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I tell mine that they're healed scratches. In a sense, they are. Then the subject is left alone :)
    A.NandD.NMommy

Answer by A.NandD.NMommy at 3:26 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• When my son is old enough to understand I will explain all the things I went through to him...And that I earned everyone of my scars.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 3:30 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• i would just say they are scratches that healed like ananddnmommy says...

Sara how did you earn your scars?? do you mean you cut yourself and you tell your son that you did that and earned it? im confused. lol maybe its just late and i need to go to bed :/
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:38 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I've never cut, but if I did I would never tell my children about it.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 3:41 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I mean, I survived all the shit that I've went through. That's why I I've kept them..I could easily get rid of them. I've got them on my wrists and my thighs. I look at them and know I'll never let myself go back to that place again.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 4:17 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I don't understand. You mean you'd purposely cut yourselves ?
    swan11

Answer by swan11 at 4:19 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I don't agree with all the people who say they would never tell their child about their cutting. Children grow up and they will experience things too. No matter how great of a parent you are, you can't be everything your child needs in life. When your child has experiences, possibly deals with depression, loneliness, or a million other things that us humans are prone to I think that it will be good for him to be able to talk to you about what you went through. When you share your experience it influences the decisions that your child makes. I'm not saying you have to tell him now, but I think when the time is right that you should. Good Luck!
    ErinRenee815

Answer by ErinRenee815 at 5:03 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Yeah, have you never heard of a cutter. It's just like an alcoholic purposely gets themselves drunk.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 6:17 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• To answer Swan, yes I did. A long time ago when I was a teen. However the scars are still there, and my kids will only buy the "cat scratch" story for so long. I was wondering if anyone else has delt with this and how.
    RheaF

Comment by RheaF (original poster) at 7:23 AM on Jun. 26, 2010