What age do you think you should be having "The Talk" with your kids?

believejohn316

Asked by believejohn316 at 3:28 AM on Jun. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• we started early i felt it was the right time and no our child didn't show interest or anything like that he was 9 almost 10 kids are maturing earlier and i left our conversation open to him to ask questions while i filled him in.
    luvmyaustin

Answer by luvmyaustin at 3:32 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• We had the first of many talks with our oldest around age seven, when I was pregnant. He asked and we answered. Anytime he has a question now... we have a nice conversation. Because we started early there is no weirdness yet. That may change as he progresses through puberty, but I think we have laid a good groundwork for a healthy dialog as he grows up.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:34 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• When my children started asking question I gave answers. That doesn't mean I gave them the major talk but I did give age appropriate answers for what they were asking. Generally I judge by maturity how much to tell, my 12 y/o knows pretty much everything and still asks questions and gets honest answers. My 9 y/o has some answers but his a not quite as mature as his brother was at 9 so we haven't given him the big talk yet ( he would just turn red and giggle). I believe in being open and honest at all ages with my children, my parents were that way with me mostly because my grandmother wasn't with my mom and when my mom became a teen she was very naive and didn't want her children to grow up that way.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:57 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• We did it early. My dd was about 6 or 7. The subject came up and I didn't make a big deal about it. My mom was always open and honest with us and it was much more comfortable if I had questions. I don't want my dd to feel like its a taboo in our house. I'd rather she ask me questions than her friends.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 3:58 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• dang i was gonna say like 11-13.. lol but maybe by the time my daughter is that age it will be EVER younger than 6... which is sad :/
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:10 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• With my DD I started around 9 to prepare her for getting her period. We have had many many talks and I often use visual aids. It's not fun at all but we feel like it is very important. There are so many tools on the internet now that we can use to guide our talks and make sure that we are giving our kids all the critical information and at the right time. We have a talk anytime a question arises.
    ErinRenee815

Answer by ErinRenee815 at 4:49 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• For my kids, we didn't really have one "the talk". It was more like little talks here and there over the yrs that were age appropriate and pretty straight forward about things. But as they were getting ready to reach puberty, then we talked more often about it. Basically, we've just worked at making it something that's pretty matter of fact, so it's not like it's some big deal sort of topic that makes any of us uncomfortable. Like, I told our dd what tampons were for when she was 7 - she asked, I answered. She had more questions, so I answered them.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:09 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I started talking to them when they were five about their own bodies and worked my way up to the talk and they were not grossed our because I was talking to them about their own body. I also talked to them about condoms told them no glove no love so they were not shocked when we had the talk.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:30 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• This is not "a talk". This is a series of conversations, starting practically at birth, by teaching your child the proper names for body parts and their functions. Keep an eye out for teachable moments, like a pregnant relative or a neighbor with a litter of puppies.

Start early, there is a lot of false information that gets passed around on the playground, on the school bus, even in backyards.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:45 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• In my house, it was never "the talk". My parents made it a part of conversation. They let us know how they felt about it and what they expected from us on a constant basis. Sex was something that we were never ashamed or embarrassed to talk about. Because of this, we were able to talk to out parents about anything. My dd is 6, and my DH and I have started talking to her about it. She doesn't know what sex is, but she knows that mom and dad make a baby, and babies are a lot of work. We also tell her that we want her to wait and how important it is to live like a kid before she has babies. She seems to understand why we she should wait, but we won't know until she gets older.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 10:25 AM on Jun. 26, 2010