Down Stairs neighbor is a smoker... :( Are you a cigarette smoker?

Well luckily our landlord is anti smoking

She said that we can notify her if the smoke is effecting us, like we can smell it in out unit, which we can if we have the window open. We are telling the landlord and the smoker-tenant will have to smoke away from the apartments...which is awesome because my LO is only 7mos and we don't allow smoking around him, or them smell.

But I wonder if this will cause an issue...we just moved in

If you were a smoker and the landlord told you to smoke elsewhere would you be upset with the person who reported it?

I don't care if this person is upset because my LO is more important, but I want to know if I'm going to have some psycho at my door on Monday.

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 3:28 AM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

• We live in a house so that's not usually a problem, the problem is sitting in traffic, walking around downtown shopping, sitting outside cafes with a drink/ice cream/lunch, etc. ANY time a smoker is exposing any nonsmoker to cigarette smoke it pisses me off, I chose not to smoke and I should never have to breath it, or be forced to leave a place or close a window because someone wants to smoke!

I do like NorCal for the record :)
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:52 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• My husband is a smoker, trying to quit. Our landlord (we rent a house) just asked that he smoke outside. It's actually helped him cut down more :) Good luck!
    A.NandD.NMommy

Answer by A.NandD.NMommy at 3:30 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Honestly smokers piss me off! I feel like their rights trump non smokers all the time! I hate that I have to go inside on a nice day because someone decides to sit down next to us outside a Starbucks or somewhere with a little sidewalk patio and lite up! I don't want to breath that crap and I definitely don't want my 2 year old DD breathing it! I don't think I should have to leave because they smoke! Same thing on a nice day when I'm stuck in traffic, I want to enjoy the air with the car windows down and the person in the car next to me or in front of me is smoking so I have to shut my windows. Sorry but that's not fair to the rest of the population! When you're in a public place you shouldn't be forced to breath/smell cigarette smoke or leave, that's just wrong.

It's that time of year when this is really starting to irritate me!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:45 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I totally agree about the windows and the A/C. I was a smoker for years and I can say from both points of view, smoker and non, smokers don't realize how intrusive their habit it on non-smokers. My mom was a smoker for 30+ years and finally quit about 2 years ago. She even admits that! We had a discussion about it the other day.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 3:50 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I'm one of those anal, non-smokers that all the smokers hate! I know they have the right to smoke but if they could do it somewhere not around me... Thanks! I wouldn't care if they were mad. You have rights as a non-smoker. Its your health. I'm probably the worst person to take advice from, I really hate dealing with smoke!
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 3:35 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Oh, and she shouldn't have to shut her windows! She should be able to enjoy fresh air in her own house without having to breath someone's smoke!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:46 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• When you live in an apartment smoke can get into apartments far away through the ventilation system, AC, around plumbing, or other ways. We lived in a highrise family housing building at Indiana University in the half of the building that was non-smoking. I could tell when someone was smoking 4 floors down and several apartments over (the apt wasn't right below mine). I ended up having to transfer to another college because people wouldn't stop smoking in non-smoking apts and the University wouldn't do anything about it.

We live in AZ now and it's so much better than IN. We own a house and none of our neighbors smoke. It was worth the move for our health.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:06 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Im a smoker i smoke outside only but yeah id be annoyed if i "got in trouble for smoking outside"

you can always shut your window.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:35 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• You are lucky. We had to move many times because my kids had asthma. We would move somewhere where the neighbors didn't smoke and then someone that smoked would move in. We lived in Indiana, one of the worst smoking states in the country. I'm surprised the landlord can make someone not somke unless it is in the lease.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:37 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Let me just tell you my husband and I moved our family into this apartment and we were downstairs and the neighbor upstairs... We could smell the cigarette smoke ALL DAY, EVERYDAY.... yuck! Needless to say the landlord couldn't do much about it but give us pointer on how to cover up the vents. That didn't work... So 8 mos later we finally moved out to a smoke free house, and guess who managed to develop asthma? Me and my oldest daughter!! I am so pissed... I could absolutely scream! It started out with coughing here and there, then my husband and I and our oldest developed bronchitis, then me and my poor daughter who were completely healthy before moving in this place now have two different inhalers we both must use 4 times a day for the next several months...

So smokers, PLEASE keep in mind that when you smoke you are making you and the people around you potential asmatic/cancer patients!
    believejohn316

Answer by believejohn316 at 3:39 AM on Jun. 26, 2010