Do you eat outdated food???

I usually don't but right now I am eating outdated cereal.

lendales_mommi

Asked by lendales_mommi at 5:00 AM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I have to laugh. It seems they only started putting dates on EVERYTHING ten years ago or so. My dh is crazy about the dating. He will pull something out, like cereal, it could be 1 month past the date and looks at me. "Do you think its ok to eat?" Me- "Uh, yup. Its cereal. Its not stale and no bugs got in it. Of course its ok to eat." Him - "Well, here. You taste it." Me - "No! I'm not hungry" Him- "Well, I'm gonna throw it away." Me- "Give me that!" (Eats a handful) Him- "Ok. Hand me a bowl" He is such a dork. Me. I'm like it it smells fine and doesnt have mold, it's probably ok.
    Crystal750

Answer by Crystal750 at 8:02 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Food doesn't magically go bad the day after the expiration date.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:35 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• depends on what it is...milk, what does it smell like? we will eat some condiments or frozen items way past the "best by" date. so long as its not smelly or moldy or as my mom calls it "wanky"...we will eat it.

now over Memorial Day weekend we were at my FIL's and he had mustard w/ a best by date back in 2007...that was a little too old!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:17 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Yes - I eat only fruits and vegetables but a lot of the use by dates mean nothing as a lot of my lettuce etc lasts a lot longer.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:05 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• There are some things that I will not eat after their expiration date, like salad dressings or pancake mix. I'm fairly careful with eggs, too. Cereal can go stale but it's still usually good, same with crackers. Soured milk can be used in baking. Sour cream is already sour. As long as it doesn't have mold growing on it, I'll use it. I've even got a sealed container of cottage cheese in my fridge right now that will be fine to use even though it's a week past it's expiration date.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:19 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I have a chart that lists how long most things last after the date on the label. It varies by what type of thing it is and it's canned/boxed or frozen. We pretty much stick to that chart. Plus we use a food saver so a lot of things go beyond what they "should" because there's no air getting to it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:13 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Yep, as long as it's not moldy, doens't have bugs in it (has never happened in this house), etc. If I threw out everythign that was outdated we'd throw a lot of stuff away - I like to stock up on things we use a lot of when they're on sale and don't always use it all "on time"!
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 1:02 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Always and I have never gotten sick---as long as it is sealed or frozen, or canned.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 2:33 PM on Jun. 26, 2010